Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs - My Conundrum

Options
Wahooegger
Wahooegger Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor asked me if I'd cook up some ribs she bought at Costco. Being the helpful guy that I am I agreed. When she brought the ribs over, it turns out they're Costco "Country Style" Ribs. In the archives, and on the Dizzy Pig site, I see that there are two cuts commonly referred to as Country Style Ribs, and one is fatty and good for a slow and low while the other is lean and should be grilled at a higher temp.[p]My problem is that these ribs are frozen now, so I can't really tell which they may be. My questions, therefore are: 1. Does anyone know which variety of Country Style Ribs are typically sold at Costco; and 2. If these turn out to be the fatty variety, I plan to follow the Dizzy Pigs recipe, but if they don't, and they are lean, does anyone have any surefire ways to cook (and rub and sauce if appropriate) these things? Appreciate any help you can provide.[p]Wahooegger

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    i have always done country ribs fast. the way my meatman put it they just slice up boston butt to make country ribs.[p]so with that being said dizzy dust and wilb boar bbq sauce is what is standard here..[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    Any "Country Style" that I know of is very lean. Slow and really watch the internal temp. Easy to over cook and dry out.
    225 indirect. Best I can do.[p]Mike

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    Wahooegger,[p]I think you should be able to tell by looking at them frozen, based solely on the amount of white relative to pink. If they're the lean cut, brine them -- 3 cups water, 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt (3-2-1), plus whatever seasonings you'd like. If fatty, the Dizzy Pig method is very good, but I can't speak for the rub or sauce, as I use homemade.[p]Wahoowa![p]Matt
  • Wahooegger
    Options
    Car Wash Mike ,
    Thanks. What internal temp do you look for?

• Wahooegger
    Options
    Matt,
    I knew a fellow 'Hoo would come through. Once you brine them, how do you cook 'em?

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    145ish. Tent with foil, it will still keep cooking.[p]Mike

• Wahooegger
    Options
    BENTE,
    I'm a big fan of the rub and the sauce. At what temp, and to what temp, do you cook them?

• Wahooegger
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks, man. I was really hoping to be able to try to replicate the incredible rib pics that you post all the time. Alas, that will have to wait.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    Those are baby backs, you have a different cut. Good Luck.[p]Mike

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    i usually do them 400 direct until 150ish internal temp[p]HTH[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    Wahooegger,[p]I cook them just like lean loin chops -- on a "regular" grid, about 500 dome. You'll get a good sear and keep them moist. Obviously, at these temps, it's easier to do sauce on the side -- I like red onion relish (with basil, ginger, and chile), nectarine-habanero salsa, or a sauce of smoked tomato, puya chile, toasted garlic, and olive oil.[p]They'll turn out great.[p]Old Dorms rule.[p]Matt
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Wahooegger,[p]The Costco here in NE Atlanta carries them and they are a sliced up butt. Slow and low following the Dizzy Pig recipe would work with those.[p]You can tell by the bone shape once they thaw.[p]
  • Wahooegger
    Options
    Matt,
    You sound just like my wife. She's a Bonnycastle alum. For me, Tuttle was the only way to go. Looking forward to meet the team day on Sunday and puttin' a whuppin' on Wyoming (and watching LSU obliterate VaTech the next weekend).[p]Thanks for the advice. Although I have to question your judgement with the whole old dorms thing...