Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Help With Slaw for Pulled Pork

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made pulled pork for a party this Sunday for people who've never had it before. What is the perfect slaw to put in the bun? I have a recipe for Lexington BBQ' slaw from the forum (sorry, don't know the contributer) that's really different--has ketchup, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and red pepper. I made a mini-portion and it's really good. But is it as authentic as a "white" slaw? [p]What's YOUR favorite slaw??????
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Help please. Your putting slaw on top of perfectly good meat with a bun? I know people like it that way. Just ruins the taste of the meat IMHO.
    KFC makes the best.[p]Mike

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Western NC slaw is called Bbq slaw and doesn't contain mayo. Eastern NC has mayo so you just need to decide which side of the state you want to emulate. -RP

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    I'm with Mike - I use KFC slaw!!! [p]mule

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I am with you Mike. Putting slaw on a good pork sandwitch is like putting bar b q sauce on ice cream. lol To each his own. [p]Chef Jerry

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    By the way, I love slaw. But slaw without Helman's ( the real mayonaise) is like a pork sandwitch without a bun. lol[p]Chef Jerry

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    You know what really got me. I cooked over 20 hours for a family reunion. Up half the night. Then I saw my niece putting cole slaw on her pulled pork sammich. I went crazy.[p]How is the car running?[p]Mike

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Famous Dave's, Judy Mayberry.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Go to NC (The BBQ Capitol of the World) and say that and you will find out what riding on a rail is all about.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]In an absolute pinch, I like slaw mixed with Ranch dressing and seasoned with Tony C's and some lemon.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    BBQ was founded in KC. Right! Check the tradition out.[p]Mike

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 53
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Judy,
    At the Naked Whiz web site under the recipe section, there are directions for Eldar Ward's pulled pork. He gives both eastern and western sauce recipes and a slaw recipe called something like "I broke the slaw and the, slaw won". I don't have the URL right here but I can post it later if you would like. I've not tried the slaw yet but there are lots of posts in the archives about the pork recipe and nothing on the naked whiz site has let me down.[p]I am doing pulled pork this weekend for the first time as well and was going to follow these direction to exactly...pork, slaw, potato salad and hush puppies...

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Jay,[p]It is gooooodd.
    Slaw, Mary Lee's, "I Fought the Slaw and The Slaw Won"., Elder Ward
    [p]Ingredients
    Cabbage Mixture
    3 lbs cabbage
    3 ribs of celery
    1 onion (yellow)
    1 bell pepper
    3 carrots
    2 cup sugar (Hawaiian when you can get it.)
    Dressing
    1/2 cup of white vinegar
    1/2 cup of Apple Cider vinegar
    1/2 cup olive oil (my twist)
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp (kosher salt)

Directions
    1 Shred, chop or dice all the cabbage mixture ingredients and mix with sugar. Set cabbage mixture aside.
    2 Bring all the dressing ingredients to a boil and pour over cabbage mixture and chill overnight.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Salad, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Elder Ward[p]Source: BGE Forum, Elder Ward[p]Jack Daniel's Old Time Barbeque Cookbook, Vince Staten, Elder Ward twist

[p]

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 53
    Options
    Richard,
    I am so impressed with the ability of so many at this site to pull recipe's and techniques and photo's so quickly![p]I am interested in how all this is stored/catalogued for you... Do you just return to favorite web sites or do you have all these files on your machine or in your head?! It's amazing![p]I just read over the info at the Whiz's site and wrote my shopping list down! [p]Have you done Ward's pork...and if so did you try the sauces? I was going to take the advice and make both adding the vinager sauce to the drip pan...only because he mentioned it, not because I know what it's supposed to do for the meat![p]It's funny how I am still nervous about cooking on this grill!

• Unknown
    Options
    Jay,
    I really like my wife's cole slaw. It's really simple to make but it's good. I don't put it on pulled pork but I do always ask her to make it as a side dish when i fix ribs. I especially like the sweetness/richness of the dressing if your rib rub or sauce has a little heat to it.[p]Cole Slaw Dressing
    6 heaping tablespoonfuls of Miracle Whip
    ~1/2 cup of regular granulated sugar
    ~1/2 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 cream
    Mix the Miracle Whip and sugar together well and let sit in the fridge. I think she will do this up to 2 hours or so ahead of time. Right before you are ready to eat, mix the 1/2 and 1/2 in with the Miracle Whip/sugar combination. Add to shredded cabbage right before serving and toss well.
    This is about the right amount for one bag of the pre-shredded cabbage.[p]Like I said, I like this version. It doesn't have the vinegar tang and maybe that's what appeals to me.

• Unknown
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    I posted a short recipe below but replied under the wrong line. Sorry.[p]

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]It is absolutely essential that you eat "barbecue slaw" when you eat barbecue. I am of the opinion that the Mecca of barbecue is Lexington, NC. Furthermore, the best barbecue in Lexington is at Lexington Barbecue. At LB, they make a red slaw -- we call it barbecue slaw -- that comes on all plates and all sandwiches. By the way, it is also awesome (awesome!) on hot dogs.[p]Matt
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Richard,
    This would be western NC slaw. -RP

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Mike is a smart guy. As a mayo hater I don't get it either.[p]I do sometimes make a slaw with my NC style vinegar sauce and have put that on pulled pork sandwiches. Kills two birds. Gets my sauce on the meat and adds the cold crunch of the slaw. Not bad that way I'll admit.[p]Just stay away from the goopy white stuff.

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Jay,
    I have made Elder Ward's Piedmont Sauce for the pulled pork before, and it is DY-NO-MITE! I am going to be making a big batch again before Sunday. I did find that after a day in the refrigerator it lost some of the spicy tang, so I'm going to overdo the cayenne this time.

Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Matt,
    That is exactly the slaw recipe I was referring to, from Allan H. at Lexington BBQ. I had it for dinner tonight and it was good. I'd never seen red slaw before!

Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks for all your contributions. I think I'll make the red slaw. And for all those white slaw lovers, I've found the perfect easy dressing and it comes in a jar. Don't choke. I love the slaw at a local Chicago Hot Dog place and they told me that they get First Street Gold Coleslaw Dressing from Smart & Final. It's a refrigerated 2-qt. jar and I've been using it for the last 2 years. Very much like "Dr. BBQ's Creamy Coleslaw," which is to die for.
    Judy in San Diego
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    the slaw i grew up with wasnt sweet like most of the southern recipes i see. its pretty close to yankee slaw in the recipe section. i put homemade beans on a pulled pork sandwich when i have some. never cloleslaw

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]I worked at KFC when I was a kid and that was when we made our slaw.....it wasn't shipped to us...[p] 8 cups finely-chopped cabbage - (abt 1 head)
    1/4 cup shredded carrot - (1 med carrot)
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice[p]Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces (about the size of rice).
    Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
    This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    icemncmth,[p]I added your recipe to my KFC Slaw recipe folder. Since most of us have personal touches......I'm always interested in the subtle differences in internet versions of popular recipes. I have saved 5 or 6 versionsof KFC Slaw. Yours is running right with the pack, including the instructions. The olny thing I do different is to reserve some of the milk and adjust thickness at the end.[p]Most of the others have been tickled with the amounts of salt and milk. Just for giggles, here is the one that when compared to your recipe, has the most changes in amounts. This person really fine tuned things, especially the amount of cabbage and the rest time.[p]KFC Cole Slaw Recipe 2
    8 1/8 cups cabbage
    1/3 cup carrot
    1 teaspoon onion, chopped fine
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/8 cup milk
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/3 cup granulated sugar [p]Core the cabbage, then shred the cabbage fine using the fine disk for the shredder attachment to the mixer. Shred the carrot the same way. Mix together cabbage, carrot and onion.[p]In a bowl combine the buttermilk, mayonnaise, milk and lemon juice with a whisk until well combined. Add the salt and pepper. Add the sugar to the sauce until well mixed in. Add the sauce to the cabbage and carrot mixture and mix well and allow the mixture to marinate for 13 hours in the refrigerator.[p]
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery