Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to trim chicken thighs

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I'm going to enter my first competition (maybe a dozen teams) in a couple of weeks. We are doing Butts, Ribs, and Chicken - no brisket for this competition. I have my recipes down, and hopefully my timing, but one thing I need to work on is presentation of the chicken thighs. I did a search but couldn't find any pics of finished chicken pieces, or an overview of how to properly trim them. Anyone have any thoughts or links they can send my way?[p]Many thanks![p]- Mike

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Just my 2 cents, but just getting thighs the same size is a great start! The teams I know seem to cook 18-36 thighs for a competition, trimming the skin so it has clean edges. Hope the pics help and good luck in your first competition!![p]Tongie006.jpg
    Sugar20Creek20Chicken.jpg

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Smokey,
    Those look mighty fine. Just don't trim the skin too much in case it shrinks. I think you will find lots of extra skin that can be trimmed.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]Thanks for the replies - yes, those look amazing and that's exactly the type of pic I was looking for. I hadn't considered shrinkage, I'll do some in the next few days to see how they come out, and see how close I can get to that pic.[p]Cheers folks![p]- Mike

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]Great point (about the skin)! [p]Regretably, those were not my boxes. I only wish mine look half that good, but I am getting better at my presentation. I have even used lettus and parsly (on a platter) at home when we had company (wife was about to call the athorities and have me committed)! [p]I just save pics of good looking ones to use as inspiration and a guide![p]Smokey