Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Celtic Wolf, help me with arithmetic please

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I noted your example on how to figure how much butt to buy (wish I could contribute some of my own). Math is a labor for me and I can't figure it out from this:[p]"Using your 40 people * 5.6 oz (13 lb) / 16 = 13.4 finished product. or 17 lb of raw product."[p]First, I figured 16/3 for 1/3 lb., which is 5.3 oz. Close to yours. Then you went and divided it by 16 and that's where I got lost--what does 16 (oz. I assume, or 1 pound) have to do with this? Or is it 5.6 oz. per pound of meat? Which has nothing to do with the ratio or raw to cooked percentages.[p]The best I can do with putting in an unknown is this equation, the only thing I remember from algebra:
5.6 oz. finished is to 60 (% of raw meat) = x (amount of raw meat) is to 100.
(You will lose 40% of the raw product after cooking—60% of the raw meat will remain.)[p]Using 20 people as an example: [p]5.3 oz. (1/3 lb.) x 20 = 106 oz. ÷ 16 oz./lb. = 6.625 lbs. of finished meat. [p][Equation] 6.62 ÷ 60 = x ÷ 100 = 11 lbs. of raw meat needed.[p]Is this right? I am not a left-brain person!!!!!!! PLEASE help.

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]He divided by 16 to convert the oz. back to lbs.
    You could just as easily multiply[p]40 * 1/3 lbs = 13.33 lbs[p]You're on your own for the shrinkage bit. :-)[p]Frank

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Your making a mountain out of a mole hill. We catered for over 15 years out of the grocery store. Now this was a long time ago and eating habits have changed. The last 17lbs of butts I cooked yeilded 7 lbs. I had a scale to make sure.
    Weigh up a 1/4 lb of pulled pork on a scale. It is huge. Kids and women won't eat that much.
    We used a 1/4 lb per person for all meat and sides.
    I have a cook on my puter if you can open up the file.[p]HTH[p]Mike

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    sneezix,
    Thanks! You know what? I just realized the asterisk sign is a multiplier sign too. Couldn't figure it out before. NOT an engineer.

Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Mike, with my limited skills I just used a calculator to find that is only 40% product left! Shrinkage of 60% is huge, but evey bite is worth it.

Judy in San Diego
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]Here is a good rule to live by. 1+1=2, 2+2=4 and 5 will get you 10 if you know how to work it.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]Yes you are right. I have yet to experience more then 40% loss. [p]11 pounds sound right for 20 people.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]If there is a bone in the meat, we might have to take that into consideration also. You might think you have 11 pounds of raw meat in a butt, but there might actually be a pound or so less because of the weight of the bone. Just something to further confuse us who are math impaired. How can we know how much a bone weighs before it's cooked and removed?

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Bonepile,[p] The 40% loss includes the bone.