Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how many cook with cast iron in egg?

Options
bobinaz
bobinaz Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious, How many of you cook with cast iron while other stuff is cooking, or cook with just a cast iron pot, pan or griddle sometimes? Yesterday I cooked some brats on my small BGE and diced up 3 small potatoes and cooked them in a 6" cast iron skillet at same time. Those taters were some of the best I ever cooked. I am getting back into "egging" since I landscaped my backyard. I have mobile tables for both my large and small egg. I'll post some pix soon. I am glad to be "back in the saddle again!"
BoB

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    bobinaz,
    I have a Cast Iron Grate for my Large Egg! I like it for getting good grill marks on my steaks :>) I haven't used a Cast Iron pot or pan. For baking I have been using Pyrex or Silicone pans. Glad you got your backyard project done... I need some inspiration for mine. Right now my County is in a SEVERE DROUGHT so the only thing getting watered is my hanging plants and cement planter boxes. I am testing the Drought resistence of Bermuda Grass which looks like it is on its last leg. You know it is bad when weeds won't even grow![p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    bobinaz,
    I have a cast iron grid for my large Egg and like it. I suppose I could make one for my small Egg but I'll just wait 'til BGE comes out with one. [p]We have recently started using cast iron Dutch Ovens, Griddles, and skillets and it is fast becoming our favorite way to cook. The food is delicious. Spring Hen informed me that the 3 qt and 5 qt Dutch ovens need a 7 qt big brother. Won't be long and we'll have a collection as large as Celtic Wolf.[p]BTW... I got up at 3:00 AM Central Texas Time to answer you.[p]Spring "Got Iron In My Eggs" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Hey... it is 2:30am AZ time....and I'm just now goin' to bed. I plan on getting some more cast iron to use in my eggs. I just have to figure out how to store it so I can get to it and make sure the cast iron stays "cookable".
    Happy cookin' to ya.
    BoB

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    bobinaz,
    I tried going back to bed but my brain won't change gears. So I'm up looking at ebay stuff.[p]Good night/morning to ya...[p]Spring "Wide Awske Sleep Walker" Chicken

• Unknown
    Options
    029_1.jpg
    <p />bobinaz,
    all the time! here's some brownies

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    bobinaz,
    How about some pot roast :
    PotRoast.jpg

[p]Or, some Cow Lickin' Chili :
    AllIngredients.jpg

• Californiken
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Wish I could send you a few inches of the rain we have had the last couple of days here in Hill Country near Austin. We had 18 inches overnight yesterday and the roads have been closed all around us. We were in a drought last year and the Texas governor has asked folks to stop praying so hard for rain since they were obviously over doing it..[p]Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    100_1439.jpg
    <p />bobinaz, potroast
    100_1428.jpg
    fiddlehead pie
    2005002951.jpg
    braised pork
    a03d0156.jpg
    sausage pie
    100_0247.jpg
    brunswick stew
    50243d02.jpg
    dont forget earthen bean pots[p]100_0369.jpg
    soapstone bowls and pots

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I sometimes use a skillet (a cheap, $12 one I bought at Target) for steaks. I was skeptical until I tried it, but 4 minutes per side at 500-600 gives you an amazing sear and a medium rare piece of meat.[p]I've used my skillet in the oven for deep dish pizza and I plan to try it in the Egg one of these days.
  • Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Options
    fishlessman,
    That sausage pie looks awesome. Like the get that recipe if you don't mind. I do the sausage rool in the bunt pan on the egg but that looks real good.[p]Pork Butt Mike

• fishlessman
    Options
    Pork Butt ,
    that was a greek sausage with leaks that the butcher near me makes, there are some good sausage makers in the area. this is a pretty straight forward recipe, lard crust and sausage of your choice

[ul][li]sausage pie[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    0dc38c1a.jpg
    <p />lard crust
    fukahwee maine

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    SteakauPoivre2.jpg
    <p />bobinaz,
    Steak au poivre

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    blackenedsteak003.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ, I agree......fun cook too!

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    Options
    127_2794.jpg
    <p />bobinaz, only problem with cast iron in the egg is you can burn off the seasoning, so keep a spray can of Pam handy to reseason as the egg cools......
    steak2.jpg

• TexasTigerFan
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Where do you get your cast iron without handles? I would like one similar to the one above. I am also wanting a 7 QT dutch oven.[p]Please let me know.[p]Thanks,
    Ref1515

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Ref1515,
    I am not sure if it is the one RTD uses but Target sells a 11" one for approx. $10.00 that has a removeable handle. I think it is in their camping dept, not kitchen.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    IMG_0427.jpg
    <p />bobinaz,
    Iron is good, egg is good, Q is good.[p]

IMG_0428.jpg

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Do you do this so that more of the meat is touching a hot surface than if you had just put the steak directly onto the grill?[p]Gwen

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Yum! will you share the recipe for the fiddlehead pie?[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I did it after reading some recipes/methods here. I was skeptical at first because I thought the steak wouldn't taste like it was grilled if it wasn't cooked directly over the coals. And why use cast iron on the grill if you can use it on your stove? The answer to that is you can safely cook at high temps outside on the Egg with your cast iron skillet. You would get a lot of smoke inside on the stovetop at similar temps.[p]It may not taste as flame cooked as it is direct, but it's still a great tasting steak.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    this is the recipe i followed

[ul][li]fiddlehead pie[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    bobinaz,[p] I hate cast iron.... <font size="5">NOT!!!!!</font>[p]breakfast.jpg[p]Tom post that beautiful Black Berry Footage please :)[p]
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Celtic Wolf..,
    I figured you were sick or had a dead computer or something. It was several hours since I saw you last post.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p] Partly right!![p] The lightening strike finally claimed my laptop. What's left of it is in a little silver 2.5" disk enclosure. Dell is building me a new one that my insurance company is paying for. [p] The other part I will leave for later if I get some good news. :)[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ref1515,
    that skillet is very old and well seasoned. i cut off the handle with a hack saw and ground it smooth with the bench grinder.[p]i also have the new skillet with the detachable handle and i use the handle with the old skillet.

• tjv
    Options
    foo2.jpg
    <p />....oh cast iron master......

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Celtic Wolf..,
    Lordy, what is that stuff? It sure looks good![p]Gwen

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    dimplesmom,[p]Breakfast :)[p]The recipe is on wessb's site under the Florida 2007 Eggfest.[p]