Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The brochure says that a bag of BGE charcoal can last about 4 months if you BBQ a few times a week. I can only get about 1 month from 1 bag when BBQ 2-3 times per week. What am I doing wrong? Is anybody else experiencing this?[p]
OkeeJohn

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    OkeeJohn,
    There are a number of factors that can effect how long a bag lasts. I have a Large & Small BGE so my Bag goes a lot further now I cook out 3-4 times a week on average and a month is a fair estimate on how long my bag lasts. It isn't fair for me to compare it to my now sold gas grill because I never did so many different cooks on it. I bake, Grill, & do low and slow cooks on my egg. I just suck it up and buy the lump as I need it two 20 1b bags of BGE lump at a time. I like having the small egg for baking ;=) and short cooks works like a champ! Every time my wife brings up the cost of Lump I remind her how little she has to cook now and how much better food I serve too!!! Hope this helps.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
    P.S. Maybe a little convincing and you might add that second egg if you don't already have one.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    OkeeJohn,
    Its called Marketing. Ain't no way one can stretch charcoal that far unless you don't lit the Egg.

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Sounds pretty normal to me. [p]Are you grilling or smoking?[p]I haven't kept track but I probably use more than a bag a month.[p]Spacey[p]PS: Been having pretty good luck with the Whole Foods house brand of charcoal
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    OkeeJohn,
    "can" is the operative word.
    "might" might be more appropriate.[p]The book also says to use less lump than you should.[p]1 mo/bag sounds right for what you're doing. I do about the same.

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Options
    OkeeJohn,
    I go threw 20lbs. in about 3 weeks. I over double my BBQ since I got my BGE. With the gas I only used it for certin things, steaks burger and so on. With my egg I have cooked everything on it. I mean everything. I will have to get in the future a small egg. This way here I can do my small cooks and not use as much lump. There is nothing like useing the egg for so many things. Happy Egging [p]Pork Butt Mike

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    OkeeJohn,[p]I would say that if grill like the average BBQ person..you proably could make a bag last a 6 months...[p]The reason I say that is the average person probably only fires up the grill for burgers and steaks...[p]I use the egg a lot more than any grill I have owned and the reason is I live in Oklahoma and the summers are hot and I can use the egg and not heat up the house by using the oven...[p]I bet that most people when they buy an egg increase the amount of things and time cooked on the egg....[p]
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    OkeeJohn,[p]When I got my Lg BGE last month I told my wife how little charcoal the BGE used. Yesterday when I ran out (less than 4 weeks) I bought two more bags.[p]When I got home my wife said "I thought you said it does not use much charcoal?". I replied "it doesn't really, but have you noticed you only cooked dinner once inside the house since we bought it? (we have gone out to eat a few times) She replied "oh yea I forgot about my not cooking as much".[p]I, like most husbands are not right very often but this was a good way to get my point across as well as point out the benefits to her of buying the BGE.....[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1) [p]