Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT question

Options
Parrothead
Parrothead Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When making ABTs once you put the cream cheese and sausage in the jalapeno halves do you put the 2 halves together before wrapping the bacon around them? Thanks y'all
Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Some folks do and some don't put the halve back together. I usually make mine with pulled pork and I leave them apart. You can make more that way. The only thing I have found is to be sure the bacon is tight and don't use half pieces. It seems that each time I cut the bacon in half, it is way too short.[p]Gene
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Parrothead,
    No. Wrap each half with a strip of bacon. I do not use toothpicks but do use a small, metal skewer that I got from Rancher's Gourmet meat market.[p]I wrap each in "half" a slice of bacon. I lay them with the pepper side down & cook them @ 250 until the bacon is cooked.[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Parrothead,
    I don't cut the peppers in half to begin with. I just stuff 'em, wrap 'em and cook 'em.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Parrothead,
    I prefer to place the two halves back together. I wrap and pin the bacon in two places so that when they are done I can cut the ABT into bite-size pieces which are much easier to serve and eat. [p]SnackABTs.jpg[p]The worst ABT I ever had was wonderful.[p]Spring "Feathered Friend Of Hairy Buffalo" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    CG8r,[p]Well see there's another difference. I always cut them in half because I don't like that much bacon on mine.[p]I think the answers here show you'll come out with a good ABT just about ANY way you do it. Wish someone would come and make me a batch. I'm having lazy attacks.[p]mShark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    100_1460.jpg
    <p />Parrothead,
    for myself i leave them whole and cut them like you see here, for the masses i cut them in half and wrap just halves, its faster when you get a system going and making a lot takes some time. there really is no way to do them wrong unless you burn them, i dont use toothpicks any more, i just stretch the bacon and wrap, i cook them indirect, in a pan, or sometimes just on a raised grill direct like this cook the other night. if cooking them whole, toothpicks would make a better presentation, but in halves they come out looking the same[p]100_1461.jpg[p]100_1462.jpg[p]100_1463.jpg[p]100_1465.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I'll make you some and email you with just how tasty they were. What are friends for if not to offer help when needed??? ... LOL[p]Any excuse to make ABT's is a GOOD excuse.[p]Spring "Professional Do-Gooder" Chicken[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Isn't that funny...I would rather have more bacon and (in my mind) keep all the good stuff inside. Each time I've made them with half slices, they never seem to cover enough and more comes out than stays in, even with toothpicks.[p]Gene

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Good morning.You gotta wrap them with some of that top sirloin filet and enjoy.Inside joke you guys.

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Wow, colored toothpicks, that's the bomb. [p]Which is correct, the round pointy toothpics or the flat ones with the flat end?

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    duckegg,
    Round is better. Color is for festive occasions. But I also have some for formal occasions that are longer and only pointed on one end while the other end looks like a little handle. Use wood though. Plastic ones melt and makes the ABT way too crunchy.[p]Spring "R & D Department" Chicken
    (Rum & Drink Department)

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Darnoc,[p]HOWL. I think it's gonna be a good day.[p]mShark
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Those plastic ones don't even make good toothpicks. If you like just a little touch of plastic those wooden ones with the colored cellophane plumey kind of things on one end just might do the trick.

• Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    Options
    Darnoc,[p]> You gotta wrap them with some of that top sirloin filet and enjoy.[p]Hey, I know where you can get some of that, cheap!
  • Wakefan
    Wakefan Posts: 51
    Options
    Parrothead,
    I cut mine the same way fishless man does. The cut-em in half was just too messy for me. I use a serrated grapefruit spoon to clean them out. I take out all the seeds and all but 1 vane. The one time I took out all the vanes and rinsed them out they were bland - they need a little bite.
    Variations:
    I use turkey bacon as it crisps up faster - done in 45 minutes, no flipping necessary. Stick 1 toothpick thru it to hold everything together.
    I mix dizzy dust in the cream cheese before stuffing the pepper. Tsunami spin can be used in place of dizzy dust if shrimp is used to stuff. (picked this tip up off this site a little over a week ago)[p]I did this at my block party and 24 ABT's disappeared FAST.

• Wakefan
    Wakefan Posts: 51
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Cut them in half!! Wish I had thought of that! So simple....
    I made 24 at my block party a week ago and they went WAY too fast.
    This would have been perfect.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Wakefan,
    It also reduces the chance that someone will try to bite a chunk off of one and squirt cream cheese all over your floor.[p]I also found that people who may be reluctant to try a whole one will try the bite-size one. Then they're hooked.[p]Finally, if you happen on some of those 3" long jalapenos go ahead and put three toothpicks in 'em. Then slice between them. Works great.[p]I've got my own jalapeno plant but it just isn't producing as well as other plants I've had. Store-bought ones are usually pretty good around here.[p]Spring "Peter Piper Picked A Peck of Jalapeno Peppers" Chicken

• Unknown
    Options
    Parrothead,[p]Some do, some don't. I don't.