Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got about a pound and a half of nice sea scallops from COSTCO -- anyone have a good recipe?*

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Steve in Maryland,
    I like to wrap mine in proscuitto, thread them shish-ka-bob style on some stripped stems of fresh rosemary, and give them a quick spin on the Egg. A little dribble of reduced balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice) just before serving.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Steve in Maryland,
    You must have been shopping yesterday. This is what you might have missed.

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/383591.shtml[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Steve in Maryland,
    I love scallops!! The best way to do them IMHO is on a Alder wood Plank. Soak your plank for at least 1 hour, longer if you can. I use a combination of Garilc and Bad Byrons Butt Rub on my scallops. Pre-heat your egg to about 325, steady your temp then place your empty plank on the Egg, close Egg. After about 5 minutes flip the plank and let it go for about 5-7 more minutes. When you open you egg, the plank should be smoking/ steaming. This is the time to put your scallops on. Brush plank lightly with olive oil, place your scallops on plank, close egg and cook 10-15 minutes depending on your preference of doneness. They end up with a lovely smoky flavor. No matter how many I do at one time there has still never been enough, everyone still wants more.
    Good luck!!

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Steve in Maryland,
    my neighbor(who is not an EGGhead) cooks his wrapped
    in bacon and sprinkled w/seaseoned salt for about 2 hours over low heat[p]I have tried in the EGG and I cannot compare mine to his[p]I'm sure that the trick is lo and slow[p]good luck and tell us how it turns out[p]Jan

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Metalhead,
    Have you ever tried placing a water chestnut in with the scallop before wrapping?

• Unknown
    Options
    I think I'm going to do them in my Lodge flat cast iron round griddle on the BGE. My plan is to put the griddle on when the Egg gets around 350* or so and let it heat up good. Wrap the scallops in partially cook bacon strips and season with a lemon and garlic dry rub I have. I'll throw a nice chunk of butter on the griddle and then put the scallops on for a couple of minutes per side.[p]I'm also doing crab cakes. I think I can let the scallops sit in a warm oven while I do the crab cakes.[p]Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated -- I've got time now to change my course of action if somebody has a better suggestion.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    cbcakes2.jpg
    <p />Steve in Maryland,
    I would cook the crab cakes first. Pull the cast iron pot off. Scallops on at 350 or so.
    I love cooking crab cakes and scallops.[p]scallops.jpg[p]Mike

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Steve in Maryland,[p]Here is a recipe for a marinade for grilled Tuna steaks that I cooked from a book once, then typed up into my e-recipe book with my changes. I have since used it for fresh scallops, and they were quite good. The only caution here is you may find it too over-bearing in seasoning/spice flavor if you're a purist when it comes to tasting the seafood. If you're not, it sure is good. I highly recommed the soaked plank cooking method for scallops...[p]"Slap yo' mama" Grilled Tuna Steaks:[p]1/3 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt (Tony's mod - I use freshly ground sea salt; it's better than iodized)
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (Tony's mod - this makes it real hot - try 3/4 tsp instead, and supplement with some fresh ground black pepper)
    1/3 cup lemon juice (Tony's mod - this makes it real tangy; try 1/3 of this; make remainder up with pineapple juice)
    3 large cloves garlic, minced (Tony's mod - 4 won't hurt!)
    3 large shallots, minced (Tony's mod - didn't have any; so I used 3 thin slices of a white onion very finely diced, instead; this was a fine substitute)
    Tony's note - these next two ingredients are the key!
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped (bunch is a loose definition; I used about 3/4 cup lightly compressed before dicing; was plenty)[p]6 (6 ounce) pieces of tuna fillet [p]Vegetable oil for greasing the grill (Tony's note - this, and a very clean, slick grill are extremely important!)
    Lemon wedges, for garnish [p]In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, garlic, shallots, cumin, and about 3/4 of the cilantro (reserve the remaining cilantro for garnish). [p]Place the tuna fillet in a large glass or ceramic dish. Rub your fingers over the fish to check for and remove any remaining bones, and pour the marinade over the tuna. Make sure the fish are evenly coated on both sides and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator, turning once.
    Brush the grill with vegetable oil and heat it to high heat (Forget this if using a plank... Tony's note - I brush the really clean, slick, very hot grill with oil just before putting fish on; oil will burn off, otherwise). Grill the fillets for 4 to 5 minutes on each side (Tony's note - Less for medium rare (much less on a BGE!), which I highly recommend if your tuna is fresh, Sashimi grade), until done to your liking. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and the lemon wedges.[p]Taste, then go slap yo' mama!