Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

problems with a spatchcocked chicken

citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
marinated chicken overnight in a personal batch of my own italian dressing. cooked it indirect on a raised grill at 350. problem was that i was getting occasional flare-ups and lots of smoke(throughout virtually the entire cook) presumably from the italian dressing. needless to say, the chicken, roasted garlic, corn, and asparagus (all added to the egg at various times to finish at the same time) suffered form a slight case of acridity. [p]i usually do the vegies on the other egg(sister is borrowing it for a while). i usually put the chicken in and set it and forget it for an hour. so curious if perhaps opening the egg 5 times through the cookin process contributed. or perhaps it was the italian dressing that did the trick. [p]any thoughts?

Comments

• markkal123,
    Could it have been that you needed a drip pan under your chicken? I know I always use one on my spachcocked chicken and never have that problem. Just a thought Bucky

• citychicken
    Bucky Buckshot,
    oops. [p]question: most everything that i read seems to indicate direct cooking of a s-cocked chicken. would putting a drip pan under the chicken and on the lower grid still imply direct heat?

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    markkal123,[p]I do my spatch'd chicken direct on a raised grid at around 450. I like the crispness of the skin at that temp and actually, I finish it by placing a red hot piece of cast iron on the skin side for a few mins to get it even more crispy. Tsunami spin works amazing for this cook.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    markkal123,[p]Using a raised grid will reduce flare-ups and allow you better control when cooking ckicken.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • citychicken
    CT Grillguy,
    and is that without a drip pan?

• citychicken
    thirdeye,
    you seem to be one of the elder-statesmen over here with lots of positive input amd assistance. thanks for all of your help.[p]mark[p]do you think opening the dome so many times contributes to the flare-ups?

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    markkal123,[p]Yes, I do it over the open flame, baby.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    markkal123,[p]Thanks for the kind words. In many ways though I'm still a novice. [p]Sure, opening the lid will add to a flare-up. Remember the fire triangle? Oxygen, Fuel, Heat. I've had grease fires in bigger pits. They are nasty.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    markkal123,
    Your post says you cooked it indirect, but I suspect it was direct. With an oily marinade, I'd use a drip pan. -RP

• Flashback Bob
    Flashback Bob Posts: 519
    AZRP,
    That's what I was thinking too.
    The first S-**** I did was direct, not on a raised grid and lots of juice dripped burned and gave it that acrid taste.
    Since then I have gone indirect with a drip pan. I should try it direct on a raised grid.[p]I still haven't successfully achieved crispy skin on the Egg yet. Maybe it's cause I seldom if ever cook chicken direct.

• citychicken
    AZRP,
    oops yeah that is right i made a mistake in my original post. i indeed cooked it direct on a raised grid. thanks for your help every0one.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Flashback Bob,
    the first s-**** you did was at band camp. who you kidding.[p]...not that there's anything wrong with that.
    (stop by and grab some hickory, we'll be around tomorrow)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    thirdeye,
    Novice? My friend, you are the mentor! -RP