Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is what stinks about the Egg

Options
PETE
PETE Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Say your Target temp is 250. If you go over that on start up to, say, 400 it is VERY difficult to get it back down to 250 without extinguishing the flame and starting over. [p]If someone can help me with this issue it would be appreciated.[p]Pete

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    pete, It's not really a problem. Just shut it down to where your target temp should be (the vents) and load on the food. That cold load will drag it down pretty fast.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    pete,
    that's called operator error and not the BGE fault! Be more attentive and it won't happen.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    RRP, But if you do, plan B. No biggie. But heck, us old timers know the tricks. ;)

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    pete, coming back down isnt as all that bad, just take some time, I just close the bottom vent for about 30 minutes and it will settle down quite nice. A thing I use is for a good solid 250, my bottom draft is cloed to about 1/16" and the top vent is about 1/8", I set these at about 200-225 while the Egg is coming up in temp, which is about 20 minutes after I light the lump.

• Bearseggs
    Bearseggs Posts: 13
    Options
    pete,
    If you can afford a Guru, I'd say buy one. For the low and slow cooks, its the way to go. I run a BBQ Guru Competitor on my Large and Small with a 10cfm fan. Set the temp for 225 for low after startup, damper it down to 1/4. I never find temp. control a problem. even at -35F here in northern Canada

• Unknown
    Options
    pete, The temp also comes down when you throw in some wet chips or chuncks.
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    sigmore, I agree. I add the meat and the temp goes down everytime.[p]Easy to get up not so easy to bring down in general though.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    pete,
    I don't see what the big deal is, just close the vents down and wait for the temp to drop. All you need is time.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    pete,[p]One small trick is to replace the daisy wheel with the ceramic top. This helps. I have also keep potatoes in the freezer, which I have laid on the grate when temps rise. Seems to at least help mentally..
  • Unknown
    Options
    pete, Pete I agree with Sigmore, I tell each of my customers that you have to watch the tempature and stop at the tempature that you want to cook at.

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    guava greg,
    question? if his temp is high, adding the meat certainly brings down the heat; but wouldn't that be an artificial fix? would that not set the operator up for a battle of temperature control throughout the rest of his cook?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    markkal123, yes it will but he got to that point by making a bad decision in letting the temperature get too high. Sometimes it's just like life. When we make a bad decision we have to work harder to just get back to where we should have been had we not made the bad decision. Just be glad that persistence and a little hard work can fix this one - it's not always that way.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Wise One,
    Hey Bill, how you been? I haven't seen you post for a while.[p]Mike

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    pete,
    What stinks about a Ferrari is if you go to fast, the brakes won't stop it before you hit the brick wall. The only help is to drive a bit slower, lol! You just need to learn to use the Egg knowing how it behaves. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    pete,[p] If this is the only fault you have with the Egg then you like the rest of us are well ahead of the pack.[p] If you let your egg get away from yo, then practice patience and just wait. Have a beer or two. As it has already been said it is best not to let it get above your desired temps. [p] All least fails change what you're going to cook :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p] You know this how?
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    HAHAHA! That's a good one! I used to have a Nissan Maxima with the same problem! Used to...

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    It's sorta like the way they test atomic bombs, nowadays. They do simulations. :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    markkal123, You're right..it's called "egg grace" since we let the temp get up too high in the first place. [p]Adding cold mass and restricting air flow will reduce heat, limit oxygen and absorb heat, eliminating much of a battle. The temp will be reduced and it's not artificial. The numbers are real and will stay down providing you adjust the vents as neded.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I still got my 2001 sephia. Thanks for giving me something to do tomorrow:)
    ST

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]awwww, but I liked the way they used to test 'em...[p][p]ka BOOOOOMMMM![p]kinda messy if you were a pacific islander, though
    :) HS

• Unknown
    Options
    pete,
    Well, some people have talent and some don't. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to operate the Egg. lol
    You could sell the Egg and get a gasser!!!![p]Chef Jerry

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Jwirliwnd,
    I know, that was ugly. [p]Chef Jerry

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p] Yes it was... Now go stand in the corner.. The one without me or stike...
  • PETE
    Options
    I would like to thank you guys for you help. [p]From what I gather, if the egg gets to hot then completely shut off the vents and let it get down to temp and it will reignite and I can adfust from there. [p]My fear was that it would not reignite and I will have to start it up again.[p]Pete

• PETE
    Options
    Jwirliwnd,[p]That does it! I'm selling my Egg! (<:[p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Pete,
    Well, it depends on how hot the Egg got (really how hot the ceramic got) and how long you will have to leave it with the vents shut in order to lower the temperature to where you want it. It is indeed possible to put the fire out. The best approach is still to not let the ceramic get too hot to begin with.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • PETE
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Perfectly put!

• Unknown
    Options
    pete, Stick with it most of this is good info. In time you will understand how to balance the temp in the egg. Don't worry It just takes time and practice.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    pete,
    This is not what stinks about the egg; it's what's good about the egg! Once you get to a given temperature, it's difficult to deviate from that temp. Admitted, it's easier to go up than back down. Catch it on the way up. I'd advise you to not shut the air off completely when trying to reduce the temp. The heat-retaining capacity of the ceramic is such that you can kill the fire completely and still be reading a temp. higher than your original target.