Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vac Pack Pork Butt Questions

Options
Alfster
Alfster Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ultra Noob here, I just got my BGE at Oklahoma Eggfest 2007. And I'm lovin' it![p]I'm getting ready to go camping and will not be taking my egg, but I wanted to take some Pulled Pork, so I've been doing some reading on here and had a couple of questions about Vac Packing a pork butt to take on the trip.[p]1) Is it best to seal the whole Pork Butt? or Pull it first then vac seal it?[p]2) When cooling it, is it best to freeze it and then seal? How is the best way to get it to a temp so it can be sealed?[p]3) When reheating (in simmering water? boiling water?) how long does this usually take?[p]4) Sauce before sealing and freezing? or just before eating? or Both?[p]5) Would this work for fatties as well?[p]Sorry for multitude of questions, but I would love to have pulled pork sandwiches by the lake during the camping trip.[p]Thanks,[p]Alfster

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Alfster,
    1. I pull before sealing.
    2. Just let it set at room temp until cool then seal.
    3. Heat in sealing bag in water. Time depends on mass in bag.
    4. I sauce after sealing otherwise it is too messy on the sealer.
    5. We don't eat fatties as we both have heart problems.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Alfster,[p]I vacpack butts all the time. I pull the pork and immediatly bag, but do not seal. I put the bags in the fridge to cool and let the juices coagulate. I then seal and freeze the next day.[p]I'll reheat in boiling water and when I open the bag, I'll spread it out in a pan and sprinkle some more of Byron's Butt Rub on it, mix it up and sprinkle some more Butt Rub on it.[p]It's a hit every time.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Alfster,
    i put a tablespoon of both coke and low sodium chicken broth in the bag, then pack the pull on top. when pulling the vacuum i watch the moisture rise towards the seal end of the bag and when it gets close seal it. then i freeze. never timed the boil part just did it til it looked right, mix a little vinegar sauce in before serving then sauce supplied at the end for those that want it. ive done this a few times on ice fishing trips and it goes fast.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Alfster,[p]Welcome to the Egg neighborhood. Barbecue is wonderful to take camping. I'll take a shot at your questions.[p]1. For portion control I like to pull first and seal.[p]2/4. I portion it out, say one pound amounts, and put it into neat piles on a tray and set in the freezer for 30 minutes or so to let it set up. You can add sauce, Coke, broth, apple juice or just some crushed ice to the meat before going into the freezer. Then put the pork in bags, vac seal and freeze hard.[p]3. In simmering water plan on an hour or so, unless the packs are huge. Don't rush it. Heck, you spent 15 hours or longer to barbecue it. It wouldn't seen right to reheat it in 10 minutes.[p]4. Serve some sauce on the side, some don't like their barbecued meats pre-sauced.[p]5. I slice fatties and do the same procedure. You will find they reheat well in the microwave too. You don't need any extra liquid (like Coke or apple juice), just a couple of small pieces of ice in the bag.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery