Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt on the BGE, 3:45AM and all is perfect

Options
Turkey
Turkey Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first low and slow butt and got up at 3:30AM just to check on everything and the temp was exactly where it was at 9pm.[p]I think it was 7lbs to start and it has been 9hrs, internal temp at 164°. It was 160° at 11pm, hope it isn't too slow if that is even posssible.[p]Mark

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Turkey,
    You're right on target my man! I don't think there is "too" slow of a time to get thru the preverbial plateau. I did two butts yesterday, both in the 4.5lb range on the same Egg and they did not take the same amount of time to get thru the plateau. One of them took nearly 1.5 hrs longer to go through the plateau than the other. Up until that time they were exactly the same (I had a polder in both of them). When things finished up though the slower one was only 5 degrees off the the finished target temp. I have to say, and I know you've heard this before, they have to be two of the best butts I've ever done on the Egg or anything else for that matter.
    All together, I had both butts cooking for 13 hrs and 22 minutes. The Egg didn't change temperature until about 9 hrs into the cook and then it rose almost 40 degrees before I got it stablized. Not bad, if I do say so myself![p]This morning, I've got 2 briskets going. One of them 10.8 lbs and the other 11.7 lbs. Both of them are in seperate Eggs though this time. I got them both started at the same time, and we'll see how they progress. I can't imagine doing repetitive cooks on anything but the Egg. Anything else, would have been a chore! The Egg is the way to go!!! :-)))[p]Sit back or go back to bed, and relax! The Egg will come through! You won't be sorry at all![p]
    Dr. Chicken