Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you treat ham like shoulder?

GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was unable to pick up a shoulder to cook this weekend so the butcher suggested that I use a fresh skin-on ham. I was planning on cooking like pulled pork. Is there anything I should be concerned about or do differently than doing a regular shoulder. ie temperature, ending temperature, etc.[p]Thanks...GJ

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    GJ, hello and welcome, nope, just cook it low and slow like normal and it will work great. I've done lots of them and was never disappointed. (unless i screwed up somethin' :))
    I think it was spin (sorry if i'm wrong) that suggested to cut away the outside skin (hide). This way you can add the rub directly to the meat for more bark/flavor and about 2/3 thru the cook lay the skin back on to let the fat baste the meat for the remainder of the cook. This works good for me and everyone likes it! so go for it and just yell if you got a question or a problem later,
    ChefRD

• GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    ChefRD,
    Thanks...I will try that. The cook starts tonight :)