Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Counter cutout size for large and small egg

Options
BTG
BTG Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am building a new house with an outdoor kitchen. Does anyone have the sizes for the cutout for the egg so that the rim is just above the counter surface allowing space for the spring hinge and bands. Also what should the distance be from the base to the counter surface for this application. I would like to have the eggs sitting like WessB and Hankern2grill on TNW's table gallery.[p]Thanks in advance.
[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm[/ul]

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    BTG,
    Just went out and took some measurements for ya.....kinda hard to be exact with the egg actually in the hole, so double check your measurements.....
    Large egg
    22" hole...top of counter to bottom of egg 18" bear in mind your shelf will have to be placed further down to allow for any pavers or feet or firebricks..or whatever you plan to put diectly under the egg itself.....
    Small egg..
    16" hole and 13" top of counter to bottom of egg base..same apllies as above with what you place under the egg.....
    If you plan to set tehm as low in the counter top as I did you will have to have a cutout in the back for the spring hinge...you can see detailed pics on my website.[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • BTG
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me the front to back and side to side dimension for the cutout in the back for the springhinge. I want to have the eggs sitting down deeper as yours are.[p]Thanks

• WessB
    Options
    BTG,
    Tha large egg hinge cut out is 4 3/4" from the back of the egg and is 8 3/4" wide
    The small is 4 1/4" from the back of the egg and is 7 1/2" wide....
    WARNING......measure the hinges you actually have, and then measure again...I got a newer replacement spring hinge for my small and it would NOT fit the cutout I already had. I could not use it unless I wanted to cut out a bigger square in the back....
    Both of my cutouts are roughly 2" (front to back) away from the closed spring hinge, if that makes sense....In other words if you layed just the bands and hinge on your counter and drew a line around the entire thing...the back of the square cut out would need to be 2" further away from the egg than the line drawn.[p]Wess

• BTG
    Options
    WessB,[p]Very much appreciated. That helps alot[p]
  • WessB
    Options
    BTG,
    You cant go much lower than I have mine because you will end up pinching your fingers btween the handle and the countertop when you close the dome...LOL...Feel free to e mail me if you have any other questions.[p]Wess