Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not sure what size to buy?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are interested in purchasing the Green Egg but are not sure what size to get--medium or large. We are a family of five and do very little intertaining. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Patsy, the concensus here will be, buy the largest you can afford and if you can't afford the large, borrow the money to do so. I have a medium (and a mini) and enjoy it, but after a year I can see why a large would be nice.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Patsy,[p] You may get tired of reading this, but we don't get tried of jumping in. As you know, you must first look at your budget, if the med is where you stand then so be it. If it is no problem, then I would go for the large & cook till you run out of food.
    Enjoy.[p]Earl

• tember
    tember Posts: 13
    Options
    Patsy,[p]Size really does matter. go big. Citibank will be glad to bankroll this wise purchase.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Patsy,[p]Large! I have medium and a mini and want a large![p]Smokey

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Smokey,
    I have a large,small and mini,now i want a medium,right Kenny G.[p]Larry

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    YB,[p]Absolutely! I told Carol that being only one cooker shy of the entire BGE collection was causing me alot of stress. She didn't buy it. Now I have to wait until Atlanta Eggfest.[p]K[p]

• KennyG
    Options
    Patsy,[p]If the family budget allows, go for the large Egg. You won't be sorry. If only for those few events when you can cook the 20+ lb. turkey or Prime rib for the family during the Holidays. You might be surprised as to how much additional entertaining you'll soon find yourself doing.[p]Good luck in your decision.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    KennyG,
    I suppose that that means that I have to drive again.
    RhumAndJerk

• KennyG
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]An excellent idea and so nice of you to offer. hehehe
    I'm still not sure that I will ever get spousal approval on a medium.[p]Bring home a winner tonight from the Jake.[p]K

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    KennyG,
    What was that little speech about permission and forgiveness?[p]Batting Practice starts in a half hour. I am out a ear.
    R&J

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Patsy, I may be repeating other postings, but a family of 5 will require a large BGE, and you probably will be adding another soon. Considering all the avenues you can use the outdoor cooker for, the inside stove will become a cookie factory at best..Mine did.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Amen on the cookie factory comment. I'm a bachelor and I probably use my stove/oven 10 times per month and my microwave 0 or 1 times per month. Also, I almost never get take out. The rest is on the BGE![p]Just ate some amazing wings based on ChefRDs technique with some simple "homemade" sauce (I use the quotes since it was really a combo of 3 ingredients). I may be posting pix in a short while if I can get my camera to work with my laptop and if they look any good.[p]Mouth still a little on fire,
    Cornfed

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Cornfed, Hello and I'll consider it a compliment that you liked them. I also like sauce with wings so how about telling us what your homemade (3 ingredient?) sauce is? Simple is my favorite style, and you can never have too dipping sauces. :)
    later, ChefRD.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Patsy,
    I am a single person, have a large and mini. Got the large first because of recommendations from this great forum. I love the room of the large. That would be my suggestion.
    New Bob