Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BGE Gas Grill Alternative?

Options
My wife and I are moving to Germany into an apartment to start, unfortunately, they only allow propane/gas grills.  Are there any quality alternatives to do mostly grilling and possibly smoking?  Thanks for any help!  I'm going to miss my eggs...
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,479
    Options
    Any Weber product that complies with the rules (or pushes the envelope) gets my vote as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I'm sure some of the higher end gas grills may have some advantages, but for cost and quality I agree with the Weber Genesis recommendations. They were redesigned a few years ago and I have the previous edition, but very pleased with mine (three burner). Have no idea how well it works, but there are supposedly ways to attempt smoking with it, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 688
    Options
    If you have room for a Genesis 335 or 325 that is my recommendation. The sear burner is a must have. It's a grill and not a great low and slow cooker but if you add a smoke tube or two or use wood chips in foil that helps.

FWIW, I have a 2016 E330 and it is my quick cook don't have time for coal grill. I use it often for burgers a quick flank steak veggies etc. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • danhoo
    edited February 19
    Options
    I cooked flank steak on Thursday on the E330. Another thing I like is I can fit a half sheet pan on one side. I can warm the sheet pan and use that to bring food in while resting.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Any gas grill can do some light smoking if you create a smoker pouch out of aluminum foil. Simply add wood chips or smoking pellets to a foil pouch and then heat it until it starts smoking. Even better, get an A-maze-n smoker tray or tube. They are neat and you can cold smoke with them as well. 

As far as grills, I agree with the Weber recommendation. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    Options
    There might be some cool grills available in Germany. They love to grill and they like well engineered stuff. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665 for me. Reasons ... I like the grill space. It is a pretty robust unit, which is easy to keep clean. Has good lighting in case of BBQ in the dark.  Has a removable pellet sleeve which means you can recharge pellets for smoking without opening the lid and disturbing the dome temperature. Has side burner for frying stuff, or searing steaks. Has a very nice rotisserie attachment (I've cooked 4 chickens at the same time).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665 for me.
    Don’t forget the wavy rods! Looked at these before procuring the egg.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i would get the typical weber and a huge wok burner for searing, stirfries, and seafood boils. its germany, make beer on the wok burner. not sure where the safety line gets drawn, but an egg verse a 500,000 btu wok burner ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I think if I were you I would look into buying one over there. Landmann, Enders, and Thuros are German brands that make popular gas grills. Napoleon is also getting popular there. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • danhoo
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I think if I were you I would look into buying one over there. Landmann, Enders, and Thuros are German brands that make popular gas grills. Napoleon is also getting popular there. 
    Whatever you buy, absolutely by it in Germany so it has the proper gas fittings and all.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,572
    Options
    danhoo said:
    OhioEgger said:
    Whatever you buy, absolutely by it in Germany so it has the proper gas fittings and all.
    When I was working at a bbq place a customer wanted to take/send a Weber 3-burner gasser to Europe, can't remember the country name. I found the manual for similar/compatible EU model and advised him what parts he needed to swap out. He was going to find out the costs of replacement parts to make a go no-go decision, don't remember if he went ahead with it.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,181
    edited February 21
    Options
    Due to the way relocation packages are structured, it may be cheaper to buy in USA, and have employer pay to ship it, than buy in Germany.

it doesn’t also have to make logical sense, just business sense.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Canugghead
    Options
    That's next level AI, automatically changes some folks' avatar, lol
    canuckland
  • danhoo
    edited February 22
    Options
  • Canugghead
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Yup, my customer was thinking of buying it from GWN for the same reason years ago. We've all heard @rrp's story of how crazy expensive BGE's are in the Netherlands.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Due to the way relocation packages are structured, it may be cheaper to buy in USA, and have employer pay to ship it, than buy in Germany.

it doesn’t also have to make logical sense, just business sense.
     This is a valid point.

However, if you won't be in that apartment for long, you may not need a forever gas grill. Consider buying something locally, that fulfills it's destiny until you move on (or, back). 

Also, ask this question on the bbqbrethren place. I think there were more European participants there, and are bound to give you good advice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 116
    Options
    OK, OP here, update: not allowed to have gas grill at my apartment, so which electric grill is recommended?  Thanks!
    L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    Options
    OK, OP here, update: not allowed to have gas grill at my apartment, so which electric grill is recommended?  Thanks!
    https://international.masterbuilt.com/de-eu/collections/smokers
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,479
    Options
    Nothing on the grill option but a hearty thank you for the follow up post.  Too many times solutions or options to questions are offered here and the outcome never provided.  
    Good luck sorting it out.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.