Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Horrors Have I made the Wrong Decision?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Horrors Have I made the Wrong Decision? [p]Please tell me... have I selected the wrong size egg??? Looking at these things in the store is completely different that in your back yard. The thing looked huge!!! I confess I purchased a medium egg thinking that was more than adequate. I get it home and it starts to shrink!! eeek! I find this forum and begin to read duh… duh… duh…Have I made the wrong size selection? I measure the actual grilling surface and…. horrors, I have a poultry 11 inches of diameter, and about the same in height!! What to do… what to do…
Facts, there are usually 4 of us 2 adults and 2 unruly kids ages 12 and 10. Should I have purchased a large egg? Thanks in eggvance. [p]Hickory Chips

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Hickory Chips, if you can afford the price difference, jump to the large. If you want to see what can be done on the Medium, check out the link - my egg is a medium.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Hickory Chips, check with your dealer and see if the 30 day upgrade is still available. If your not satisfied you used to be able to upgrade with a small depreciation to the one you now have.
    Good luck..bigger is alway a tad bit better in ceramics, to a point.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Daryl
    Daryl Posts: 27
    Options
    Hickory Chips,[p]11" bird huh? These guys are the experts, I am a newcomer, that said, I cooked a 21 lb turkey in a small egg last weekend. Check out the "big bird, small egg" messages from last week. The big bird turned out great. The smaller egg uses less charcoal too. The large, however, will come in real handy when you have parties, or want to cook lots of ribs, etc.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Hickory Chips, Hello and welcome.
    I'm confused about your grill. I have a large and a small, never seen a medium, but heres where my question comes in.
    You say your medium is a paultry 11 inches?
    My small bge, has a 13 inch cooking grid, but measured between the firering it is about 11 inches. I think you must have a small, not a medium.
    So whatever you got, I say go for the Large if you can afford it, and get credit for the small. The large can do everything the others do plus MORE.
    my .02$
    ChefRD

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Hickory Chips,[p] Hmmm. I have a large (and a small), but it seems to me that your bird should fit just fine in the medium BGE. Click HERE, then you can measure the grid to make sure you got the right one. The 15" grid of the medium should still leave you plenty of room for an 11" bird.[p] As others have implied, BGE has (or used to have) a trade-up policy whereby you could (or still can) trade in the BGE for a larger one within 30 days of purchase and recoup most of the purchase price of the smaller BGE. Do some thinking and decide how much you really need. I love my large and would recommend that size to anyone, but different folks have different requirements and budgets.[p]MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    myegg2.jpg
    <p />Hickory Chips,[p]I think you have a small Egg - not a medium. The small is great for doing small grilling and higher temp cooking, but for ribs, turkey, etc I use the large. Except for special projects, the large is often too big and I use my small. The medium (which is bigger than what you have) is fine for 3-4 people and will do everything - GFW's site is all done with a medium. My site uses the small and large. [p]I mentioned to BGE at Eggfest that they should add Sm Med Lr to their ceramic molds to let it be better known what size they are. This was realized after Molly Shark was brave enough to admit she was using a large and thought she had a medium. Who would know if there is one sitting on the showroom floor with no other to compare to. [p]The medium is fine but the large is the main choice since it does it all.
    Tim

[ul][li]tim's site[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Hickory Chips,[p]Dont worry too much. I too have a medium and have actually never wondered if I should have gotten a large. I cook everything that I want/need to on the medium and have a family just like yours. There are 4 of us and the medium feeds them just fine.[p]That being said, do check with your distributor about the exchange policy to see if you can upgrade and trade in your medium for the large. Only you will know if you need the extra space. Again, I too had these worries but have not looked back after owning the medium for 2 years now.[p]Good luck with whatever decision you make, you're in for some good eats no matter what size you end up with. Welcome to the group.[p]Troy
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Hickory Chips,[p] Welcome & don't worry. As everyone mentioned, you should be able to upgrade to a larger unit, contact your dealer & inquire about it. You could also keep that & buy another. LOL.[p]Earl
  • olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    Hickory Chips,
    I have a mini, small and large. I don't need no stinkin' meidium!

• Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Posts: 54
    Options
    Hickory Chips,
    Please do your self a favor and get the large. You wont be sorry , I run out of room on the large. Good luck

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    olblue, I think they all smell pretty dang good with sumptin cookin in em...! :-)
    C~W[p]