Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Controlling fire when opening dome

Options
I’m making burgers tonight.  I noticed tonight and prior cooks that opening the dome to flip food or take temps can really get the coals fired up.  The coals were also spitting sparks out of the grill.  Do you experienced eggers do anything to mitigate this like close your bottom vent some before opening the lid or is it inconsequential?  The coals do seem to return to their prior state when the lid is closed. 

I appreciate your continuing to field my newby questions.  

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
    You can do a raised direct set up if you have one. Up above the gasket with no plate setter. You can do indirect as well, but it won't get color. Other than that, be fast and have some gloves that can help with the heat and a lick of flame maybe. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 4
    Options
    Try closing the vent while you have your lid open.  It will mitigate the fire increase to some extent, because you won't get the airflow from the bottom.

Of course, open it again when you close the lid, or you will get nasty backdraft.
    NOLA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Some of us old farts will actually just wait until our dome thermometer is rock solid at 400 and then close the bottom vent, open the dome throw on the burgers and grill them! That way I can achieve the“doneness” every family member or guests want their burger
      done! Less guessing, better resuts and people are still amazed at this “new green machine”!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Smashburgers! That way, you only need like 1-2 minutes per side and can mitigate any temperature run.
    Mountain View, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if im doing more than a couple burgers i go smash burgers on the blackstone. too much grease on the egg with flareups with too many burgers. only way ive found useful on the egg is to make the burgers thin and use the one flip method to avoid spilling grease on the fire. lower temps work but i like the burgers cooked hot and charred.  beef tenderloin sliced 3/4 thick makes a better burger style cooked and simplifies things. not really a burger but alot better for a group cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it