Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boos cutting board help

Options
Happy New Year!!! My Boos cutting board is warping. I’m not very good at this stuff. Is there any way to flatten it back out? I’m afraid to try anything that I can come up with. I’d probably make it worse. Thank you!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sorry to hear. I feel like @GlennM, @nolaegghead or @botch may be your best sources of advice. Not helpful for your current predicament, but from personal experience, I’ve learned prevention is better than remedy with the board. I never leave anything sitting on it, water very much included. Once left a little bit of chopped cilantro on the board for fractionally too long and had to sand out the stain. Keep the board very well oiled, too. 
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 639
    Options
    Thanks and I agree. I was religious about caring for it for quite a while. Fell off the wagon I’m afraid. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    No Boos board owner here but I do attempt to oil 'em around every four to five weeks, especially in the winter.  So far, so good. But thanks for the renewed motivation.  BTW- I use that really expensive (kidding) food grade mineral oil found in grocery stores.  Works for me. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 378
    Options
    Walnut oil works and will harden in a couple days. On my cutting board, I just wipe it with olive oil once in a while. So far it's been fine. Of course it's only been since '08 so who knows how it'll turn out.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    why not give them(Boos) a call
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,362
    Options
    Do make sure to oil both sides (all sides actually) of your boards not just the cutting side.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,183
    Options
    Oil all sides, and oil liberally.  I usually keep adding till it no longer soaks in.  Absorbs way more than you would think.  I know guys who put them in trash bags absolutely drowned in oil for 3+ days.

Also, every Boos board I have ever had has cracked or warped.  It happens as soon as I forget to oil them.  I still use them.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Did you leave it wet for a while?  That will do it. Is it warped very much?  End grain or not?  There are things you ca try once we know the answers to those questions
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    If we see a board starting to warp in the commercial kitchen, we rub it with canola oil on all sides liberally and wrap in plastic wrap and lay it on its edge and flip it every day or every other day. it will take some time to even out but it always does eventually. 
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    If we see a board starting to warp in the commercial kitchen, we rub it with canola oil on all sides liberally and wrap in plastic wrap and lay it on its edge and flip it every day or every other day. it will take some time to even out but it always does eventually. 
    Thank you! Can you please clarify what you mean by “lay it on its edge”?

Ronald Reagan

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,248
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    hondabbq said:
    He means to stand the board on edge
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,183
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Dawgtired said:
    hondabbq said:
    Your board has survived my daily abuse without issue.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,248
    edited January 4
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Dawgtired said:
    hondabbq said:
    Your board has survived my daily abuse without issue.
    Glad to hear that you are happy with it. I am planning on making another batch and seeing if there is more interest. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did reach out to Boo’s. Their recommendation was basically what hondabbq said to do. I covered it with mineral oil and wrapped it in a plastic bag from the dry cleaners and placed a heavy Dutch oven on top. Again, thank y’all for taking the time to respond.

Ronald Reagan