Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEST or TABLE

Options
I presently have an XL in a nest.  I have used it for about 12 years and it is rusting. I kept under a concrete carport with a table beside it.  I use the PS woo and sit it on plywood at side of nest when hot or while cleaning and lighting.
I often movie it around for windy conditions and blowing rain when cooking.  I am planning to replace the nest with either a new nest or the Arcadia table with wheels.  I am having trouble deciding which and since there is about 550$ difference, I would like your thoughts and advice.  I really have enough usable table space with the wings and table so the change to a table vs nest is only for preferences and not sure which to do.  Wife says my decision.  

Please comment
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Also I keep my cooking stuff in garage on shelves with a lot of stuff for a Blackstone also now.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    Options
    I have mine in nests. It’s just easier for me. I can easily move them to a different spot on the patio for wind, rain. I have a separate stainless prep table out there with them. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Built my own table for about $75.   It’s garage kept while not in use and on 4” casters for ease of movement.   

It’s not the prettiest but it’s darn functional for little $.    BGE has build dimensions on their website somewhere that I went off for top shelf cut out and recommended depth.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I vote for a nest. Check Facebook Marketplace, and you should be able to find one for a good price. 

If you're moving it around a fair bit, I recommend upgrading the wheels. 

castercity.com has many options. Very helpful, and knowledgeable, sales folks on the phone. 

This is my last order, for my LBGE nest:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    Options
    +1 on what Caliking mentioned above. You might even find a nest with a handler to make moving around a little easier. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    I like my tables but my eggs never move. If you want mobility and you are happy with your current set up, I’d go back with another nest.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I had both. My vote is the nest as well..so much more versatile 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    I'd say nest and handler combo.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Nest and mates.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you want to add a handler, I think there was a design change in the past few years. Make sure you check that the handler fits the nest you buy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    https://wellspringcomponents.com/category/grill-carts/big-green-egg/ I am very happy with my Wellspring table, I have had it for a few years and it still looks new. It has room for the platesetter, bag of rockwood, grill tools etc. It is coated aluminum so it won't rust and the doors are some kind of marine plastic. I think it would be easy and stable to roll around but mine sits in one place.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Table for me.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Challenger table all the way for me. fully customizable. Rock solid and sturdy. 
    My LBGE never moves. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    If you need to move it often, I'd say nest. The table is nice for stationary applications, I'd expect it to have more surface than the wings on the nest, which is nice to have.  For moving the table, it's wood, it is strong, but does bend, and I think you'd have to be really careful with it every time you move the egg.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I did a big table build this fall. It was a bit more than I expected but I love having the space. Pic of SWMBO helping with the stain

XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I have used a nest and also a self-built table. They were both good, but I consider my Challenger table among the best purchases I've ever made. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,195
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Table but i am biased
    I am the current owner of that table and can vouch for it. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Table but i am biased
    That would work, and would be my preference, but not the Acacia (wooden one by BGE) if he wants to move it back and forth.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    TSPUD. what table is that and where to get and price
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    Options
    GoldenQ said:

Those are @Tspud1 tables he makes and sells. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited November 2023
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    check messages
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have the XL in a nest with Egg Mates (I had same with L before it).  I also have a Weber Q sitting on a Keter Unity 40 Gal Patio Storage Grilling Bar Cart that stores all the accessories.  In the summer these two sit side by side on my patio generally uncovered (as it rains so rarely).   In winter I move the cart off the main patio and the egg is always moving as the Chiminea is near and we move furniture back and forth in egg area.

I would probably get the Modular Nest Frame for XL EGG if I need to redo it- just seems more stable and should in time I could build it out to more. 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.