Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Question

Options
I cooked 2 NY strips last night in a cast iron pan on the stove with some garlic, rosemary butter. I oiled and seasoned the steaks about an hour before they went into the pan. They turned out delicious but I had some of the seasoning stick to the pan after the cook. I soaked the pan to help loosen up the seasoning that had stuck to the pan. Is this normal or does the pan need more seasoning?
XL BGE
Plainfield, IL.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,308
    Options
    If necessary you could scrub the pan with salt. Or let it soak for a few hour before using a sponge on it.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I know this does not answer your question but, in the future, while your pan is hot, add a little tap water to the pan and deglaze it. It will only take a few seconds to add this step when you remove the protein. You will not have the problem again. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    When I'm cleaning cast iron, I usually put a little oil in it and get it nice and hot again, and immediately rinse it under the tap.  Usually comes clean no matter what is stuck to it.
    NOLA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I just run it through the dishwasher.

Just make sure you use the top rack.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    what did you use as seasoning?

Options
    paqman said:
    🤣😂

=)  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    @paqman I used avocado oil on the last season a couple of cooks ago. The steaks didn't stick to the pan, which I'm glad about. It sounds like its normal to get some build up on the pan from a high heat cook. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • paqman
    Options
    Some food will stick, steaks should not.  If you have sugar in a rub, it may stick but just meat seasoned with herbs and oil should not.  The pan needs to be hot and you need to leave the meat long enough that it releases on its own.  Maybe your pan needs more seasoning… can you post a pic of it?

The steaks didn't stick and I preheated the pan in the oven at 350 for about 45min before the steaks went in. Thanks to all for the advice and comments. I can post a pic of the pan tomorrow.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I'd use a hotter pan. 450F ++

Wipe the pan with oil and when the oil starts to smoke put the meat in the pan and don't touch it for a few mins. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hotter pan, you can make fatty bacon stick if you dont start hot enough in cast iron. on the other side, remove steak, turn burner on high, get a 1/4 cup water, toss in and wipe it with a spatula, kinda like lifting the good stuff for gravy. takes seconds to unstick stuff
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    Options
    two unscientific ways to monitor cast iron temps:

1. the hotter it gets, the color will become a lighter shade....of gray.....
    2. water droplets will dance on hot cast iron.....

t
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    CGS said:
    two unscientific ways to monitor cast iron temps:

1. the hotter it gets, the color will become a lighter shade....of gray.....

t
    3. if pan is already filled with oil for frying, 1&2 could be challenging  ;) instead, dip a wooden chopstick in it, if you see bubbles it's hawt. Just funnin' with ya.
    canuckland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Good excuse to cook more bacon!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    CGS said:

A practical demonstration of the Leidenfrost effect.  Your science lesson for today is go to YouTube, search Leidenfrost, watch the video.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    Learn something new dang near every day here.  Thanks @CTMike .
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    Options
    I add fat to the pan when it is hot and I know it is hot enough when I can observe the Leidenfrost effect (thanks for the lesson @CTMike !)

This egg did not stick at all.  With enough heat and good seasoning, you should be all good.  We are still waiting for pics of your pan!

Options
    I'm waiting for the Finex rabbit hole to present.  The saving grace for me is that their website is not user friendly.  Looked at grill pans and it always defaulted to skillets.  Not interested with that product.  Clumsy to extract information. 
    Will defer the "Alice in Wonderland" journey for another time.  😎
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    Options
    @lousubcap Finex is better than Lodge but it is far from perfect… For the price, I was expecting better.  I don’t like that the flat machined bottom doesn’t go right to the edge.  At one point I found a brand that has a perfectly flat bottom, I’ll try to find the link.

paqman said:
    @lousubcap Finex is better than Lodge but it is far from perfect… For the price, I was expecting better.  I don’t like that the flat machined bottom doesn’t go right to the edge.  At one point I found a brand that has a perfectly flat bottom, I’ll try to find the link.
    Some of us believe flat bottoms are boring. 

I like the Finex, but as mentioned, not perfect. Did you get the lid too, @paqman?
  • paqman
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations yes, got the lid but I rarely use it.

@paqman

It gets two times to shine in this household: i) keeping things warm, and ii) getting the insides of sandwiches to heat up and melt. Item “ii” alone has been worth the price of admission here. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    paqman said:
    Thanks @paqman - as this would be another "why did you buy this-you have enough cast iron" deal I have plenty of time to adapt and overcome. 
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Get your water boiling and scrape…. Works like a champ. I have a mesh screen to scrub with. Saw Christopher Kimball (?) from Milkstreet use one. Works really well

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Didn't quite remember what I said about my Finex in a thread a few years ago and was curious if I still felt the same way about it:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2120313/#Comment_2120313

I do feel much the same today. I would add that the way the bottom is machined has never been a concern for me functionally but I can see how it might be a bit of a nuisance. Still not a fan of the handle. And the skillet is heavy and with the lid it is really heavy but I'm never tossing anything in it so that's not a serious problem.
    So, would I buy another one? Functionally it's nothing special but I do like the appearance of the Finex stuff so maybe I would add some more to the collection. 

I did add a new piece of cast iron last week - https://www.upanfrypan.com/

If you don't like your sausage to be bent this is the pan for you... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhz9NgEBgk

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Who wouldn't like their sausage to be bent?