Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Benefits of Cowboy Lump

1. Teaches me the value of "You Get What You Pay For"
2. You get more than lump, you get big heavy rocks too!! Bonus for a product that charges by weight.
3. Since it burns so fast, it doesn't take up room in the garage for long.
4. Need to learn patience? Light, Light, and re-light your Egg every 15 minutes and use up those fire starters!
5. Reminds me of the buffet review: "The food is terrible, but the portions are huge!!"

I usually use Fogo or Rockwood... but at Costco the damn bag is 50¢/lb. so I had to knock my head against the wall once again because I didn't learn from the last time I bought that quappy lump. 

Sigh.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    cowboy must have different manufacturing plants for different areas, i dont have any of those problems except for the price. i do notice the bags are different at homedepot than at the grocery i shop at, the grocery is where i buy from. betting the big boxes are buying from a different local that caters to them but who knows
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    cowboy must have different manufacturing plants for different areas, i dont have any of those problems except for the price. i do notice the bags are different at homedepot than at the grocery i shop at, the grocery is where i buy from. betting the big boxes are buying from a different local that caters to them but who knows

When you do business with a place like Costco, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc they have their mind made on want to sell a bag of charcoal for and what they are going to pay for it.  Vendor has to figure out if you can make or source it for a price below that with the lead time.  I get emails every day from companies all over the world trying to sell me [literally] boat loads of bulk charcoal from Africa, China, and South America.  I'm in the business of quality or quantity though....so I don't do business with those big box stores.

makes sense to me as i dont buy cowboy lump there and keep seeing problems posted about it. the cowboy i get from the local grocer is workable and convenient, not as good as the stuff i used to buy by the pallet but still good enough
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,040
    I think cowboy is good value, it smokes from start to finish.
    Not a felon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,952
    Agree with @fishlessman's first post^^^, similar to Cowboys, RO also come from many sources, can't lump them in the same boat.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,952
    Ummm, #3 and #4, trying to comprehend how it burns fast but hard to light  :s
    canuckland
  • I found a piece of pink fiberglass insulation tumbling out of a bag of Cowboy years ago.  That told me everything I needed to know about their brand.  No thanks.  I’ll burn Kingsford over Cowboy.  There’s something not right about it.  Kinda like the NFL team.
    Flint, Michigan