Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try at Pizza on the Big Green Egg was a Success!

Options
Tried making pizza tonight for the first time. Happy with how it turned out although a little bit salty tasting. Store bought dough and then pizza sauce, mushrooms, pepperoni, and cheese. Cooked indirect heat and raised it in the dome at 450 degrees. Turned out good and looking forward to trying different toppings for future cooks.

Got the dough ready as best i could. Seemed to get a little thin in the middle but after it came off the cook, it worked out well.

Pizza ready to go on the grill at 450 degrees with indirect heat raised in the dome.

Finished pizza and ready to eat.

Cooked for ten minutes and managed to not burn the crust. Turned out pretty good for first try at doing homemade pizza.

I watched a number of videos and read a few blogs on how others do their pizza on the BGE. A lot to learn, but happy with how it all turned out.

♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    Winner right there.  Congrats on nailing it.  I would inhale that. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Very nice!  Good undercarriage.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    Looks GREAT! - Question though about picture #2.

It appears you are holding your soon to be egged pizza on something solid, but QUITE COLD.

Also what was your set up? Plate setter with legs down? Or HOT pizza stone laying flat on a grill?

Granted there are MANY ways, but it appears you had a SUCCESS the first time out!

Enjoy Eggdom!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • havertyj
    havertyj Posts: 118
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Winner right there.  Congrats on nailing it.  I would inhale that. 

Thank you! I was happy on how it turned out. Kept this first one pretty simple which was good.
  • havertyj
    Options
    RRP said:

It appears you are holding your soon to be egged pizza on something solid, but QUITE COLD.

Also what was your set up? Plate setter with legs down? Or HOT pizza stone laying flat on a grill?

Granted there are MANY ways, but it appears you had a SUCCESS the first time out!

Thank you. I did not have a pizza spatula, so we used a round pizza rack to transport between kitchen and the BGE. Parchment paper underneath and slid it off of the round cooking pan an on to the BGE. Then when it was done, we grabbed on to the parchment paper and dragged it back over to the cooking pan.

The cooking pan that we used for transport was not cold. I had placed a cooking stone on the top rack of the BGE which had been warming up for about ten minutes before putting the pizza on it.

Did a plate setter with legs up, lower rack, and then the extender with the stone on the top of the extender top rack. Certainly some tweaking to do for future cooks, but I could not complain about this first attempt.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I've not done a scratch cook yet but have Egged a couple Take and Bakes from Costco. They turned out really well. I wish they still had them.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    havertyj said:
    RRP said:

Thank you. I did not have a pizza spatula, so we used a round pizza rack to transport between kitchen and the BGE. Parchment paper underneath and slid it off of the round cooking pan an on to the BGE. Then when it was done, we grabbed on to the parchment paper and dragged it back over to the cooking pan.

The cooking pan that we used for transport was not cold. I had placed a cooking stone on the top rack of the BGE which had been warming up for about ten minutes before putting the pizza on it.

Did a plate setter with legs up, lower rack, and then the extender with the stone on the top of the extender top rack. Certainly some tweaking to do for future cooks, but I could not complain about this first attempt.

You will probably get a better crust if you remove the parchment after the crust sets - about 2-3 minutes.

Looks good - enjoy.
    NOLA
  • havertyj
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I've not done a scratch cook yet but have Egged a couple Take and Bakes from Costco. They turned out really well. I wish they still had them.

Wish we had a Costco where I live. Might have to make a trip to Kansas City Costco to try that out. Sounds good! I wonder how Papa Murphy's would do on the BGE. Granted, easier to do in the oven, but seems like it would give a good flavor to the pizza.
  • havertyj
    Options
    buzd504 said:

You will probably get a better crust if you remove the parchment after the crust sets - about 2-3 minutes.

Thanks. Yes, I saw that in videos I watched. Part of the difficulty was getting the pizza off of the stone, so we used the parchment paper to help get it off of the grill/stone. I can see how it would help the crust if put the pizza directly on the stone. On my shopping list is to get the pizza spatula. Sure makes it look easy getting the pizza off and putting on the BGE.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    - Congrats on that cook.  I have been Kamado cooking since the late 70's (Kikuya Hibachi Pot) and subsequently on BGE's and a Primo.  

- I will most likely get laughed off the forum but I have never attempted a Pizza on any of my cookers.  My better 95% makes a mean pizza from scratch and have been shirking my duties to convince her to let me finish her work off on one of the ceramics.  

Guess I will have step to the plate and throw that out there the next time she decides to make pizza.

- As @4TheGrillOfIt stated really nice "undercarriage" on that pie.

- Well done!
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    That is a great first cook. My first slid when putting it on the stone and almost fell into the back on the Egg. It dripping toppings onto the gaskets and burned there quickly.
    have done a few since then that turned out good, but found I prefer to do Stromboli /Calzones.
  • havertyj
    Options
    6baluts said:
    - Congrats on that cook.  I have been Kamado cooking since the late 70's (Kikuya Hibachi Pot) and subsequently on BGE's and a Primo.  

- I will most likely get laughed off the forum but I have never attempted a Pizza on any of my cookers.  My better 95% makes a mean pizza from scratch and have been shirking my duties to convince her to let me finish her work off on one of the ceramics.  

Guess I will have step to the plate and throw that out there the next time she decides to make pizza.

- As @4TheGrillOfIt stated really nice "undercarriage" on that pie.

- Well done!

Thank you! I appreciate it! I have had BGE for about four years or so at this point and it was my first time trying a pizza. Talked about it for a while and finally did it. Happy with the outcome.

Yes, hopefully you are able to cook a pizza at some point. Tastes so good! If it does not work out, I am sure she will continue making the pizzas. Either way, win win! :)

As for the undercarriage, it was all luck. I plan to do pizza again and I will share. I just hope my next one I come back in here and show burnt pizza.

• havertyj
    Options
    @PoppasGrill I had some sliding when we were removing it from the grill. It took two of us to make sure it did not slide off and got it back on the cooking pan.
    If you have a recipe you have used for Calzones, I would love to give that a try. I love those things out at restaurant.
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    havertyj said:
    @PoppasGrill I had some sliding when we were removing it from the grill. It took two of us to make sure it did not slide off and got it back on the cooking pan.
    If you have a recipe you have used for Calzones, I would love to give that a try. I love those things out at restaurant.
    https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/threecheesecalzone/

I haven’t tried this one, just did a quick search on BGE recipes. Looks good though, I’m marking it for next time.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Pizzas on the Egg are my kryptonite. Yours look great. 
  • havertyj
    Options

I haven’t tried this one, just did a quick search on BGE recipes. Looks good though, I’m marking it for next time.

Thank you. That does look good and I have it saved for a future attempt. I had not even check the BGE recipes for Calzones. Yum!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    havertyj said:

I would make this if only I knew how to put together a three cheese blend. If only there was a good instructional video out there. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice pie!

Pizza is like sex... there's no such thing as bad pizza.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 942
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Pizza is nothing like sex. I've been watching the uh .. "Is it sex or is it pizza competition" and within like the second episode you could totally tell the sex from.the pizza. The pizza was just laying there silently, but the sex was loud and almost broke the headboard. Literally no comparison
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Pizza is nothing like sex. I've been watching the uh .. "Is it sex or is it pizza competition" and within like the second episode you could totally tell the sex from.the pizza. The pizza was just laying there silently, but the sex was loud and almost broke the headboard. Literally no comparison
    you're clearly not making your pizzas the right way...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 942
    Options
    My uncle Wilfred fell face first into what my grampa called a sex pizza. This women had it in her lap apparently.All I remember is .. when he was done eating the pizza his ears looked really red like they'd been gripped really hard, and his chin was glistening in the sun like high fructose corn syrup. That's when I realized I wanted to be just like my uncle Wilfred because licking your chin must be so sweet to be him