Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook on gas grill

Options
I’ve got a nice built in Blaze gas grill, but it never gets used since I prefer to cook on the BGE.  Would like to get some use out of it though. What meals/ situations do folks prefer to use a gasser over the egg?  I’m also thinking about getting one of those steel made flat tops, which would open some new options.

Comments

• Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Definitely put a griddle top on the gasser for some smash burgers, bacon, anything like that. I use multiple grid layers in the egg to cook “everything in the egg” but can see the benefit of a side gasser for that.  So maybe just think of cooking entire meals outside and nothing cooked inside if you aren’t doing that already. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Corn on the cob in the husk,  asparagus wrapped in prosciutto....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I only use mine to boil water.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Salmon burgers, veggies. I have a CI griddle I'll use on it too. 

I use the side burner to light coal. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    I don't have a rotisserie for my BGE, so anything rotisserie goes into the gasser, and if I need a quick meal ... frozen burgers or hot dogs ... it goes into the gasser.  I've done same excellent rotisserie brined whole chicken and tenderloin on the gasser.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I haven’t used my gas grill in more than three years!  😯 Getting a griddle for it sounds like a good idea.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Roast peppers.

When I had a gas grill, it became storage for all my BGE stuff.  Eventually I traded it for a few packs of strip steaks.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I vote for the griddle top. I don’t own a gasser but wish I had a griddle.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I just used mine last night to do Sausages and Corn on the Cob.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Anything that goes in a pot or pan. A griddle on the gasser works ok. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NewfoundEgger
    Options
    I pulled the trigger on a Steelmade flattop, and just finished my first cook.  Initial impressions are pretty good, but definitely some downsides vs a Blackstone.

pros: doesn’t take up extra space on the patio, grill is on natural gas, so no propane required
    cons:  wish it was a bit bigger (steelmade does custom sizes, but I got “off the rack”); blaze grill runs hot so it’s difficult to moderate heat.  Grease set up is awkward 

First breakfast cook was bacon eggs and hash browns and the family gave it two thumbs up.  Probably give smash burgers a try tonight.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    I wouldn't cook anything on my gasser, mostly because I see my underwear at the end of the day, and I'm thinking everything would taste like crap, and I fear how to cook a hot dog in that thing, probably the long way, but I digress ..

The important thing is this ....

Today must be opposite day because when I woke up this morning ... my bum smelled like underwear.