Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog sauces in squirt bottles??? I never saw them before!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,918
Today I was not even looking for sauces, but their squirt bottles caught my eye...Guess those are aimed at folks who are too challenged to unscrew a Mason jar lid - and are fine paying extra for thinned down Blues sauces so they will squirt thru that little bitty lid! LOL LOL LOL

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,695
    Options
    RRP said:
    Today I was not even looking for sauces, but their squirt bottles caught my eye...Guess those are aimed at folks who are too challenged to unscrew a Mason jar lid - and are fine paying extra for thinned down Blues sauces so they will squirt thru that little bitty lid! LOL LOL LOL
    I bought one Friday… did not put that much thought into it but now I feel like a IDIOT! LOL LOL LOL
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options
    Sorry - I'm just an old fart and today has not been a good one for us "older farts" on this side of the world - I should have just buried my thoughts just like we will soon "plant" an old friend...
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Just messing around Ron. I didn’t compare prices, they had both there. I have assume it’s the same recipe and viscosity, just a convenience factor. I rarely use bbq sauce anyway just need to keep some on hand.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Sorry hear about your friends passing. Feel free to continue venting.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    They are absolutely a game changer. You can put the sauce right where you want it with no mess at all and no waste at all. Just awesome for ribs etc. That’s why the pros pour sauce into squeeze bottles, convenience and control. I wish they all did this it’s the best thing since sliced bread was invented during Ron’s senior year of college. 😁
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Bought a few squeeze bottles over last couple years. I really like the plastic bottles. If it’s thinner I didn’t notice. Still tastes fantastic.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Bought a few squeeze bottles over last couple years. I really like the plastic bottles. If it’s thinner I didn’t notice. Still tastes fantastic.
    It’s the exact same product in a far superior package.

It’s for those who don’t like that gunked up threads on their jar lid. It’s for those who don’t like slopping sauce all over the deck or patio. It’s for those who like convenience. It’s really for most everyone. 😁
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    @pgprescott. Agree 💯. For me the only downside to the product is it comes in a jar
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,063
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Following this one this weekend for sure. 

Jars suck for sauces by the way. And squirt bottles are better most of the time. Except sour cream. That requires a container and spoon because there is something unnatural about squirting a line of sour cream on a taco or potato. 
  • OviedoGoddess
    Options
    I noticed they were more expensive per ounce too RRP!  But the convenience of applying the sauce that way did make me think about it.  So I just thinned the sauce out of the jar with some water and put the mix into some left over squirt bottles I had.  That way I didn't feel like a total idiot for paying more for watered down sauce!
  • pgprescott
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I noticed they were more expensive per ounce too RRP!  But the convenience of applying the sauce that way did make me think about it.  So I just thinned the sauce out of the jar with some water and put the mix into some left over squirt bottles I had.  That way I didn't feel like a total idiot for paying more for watered down sauce!
    There are 4-6 more ounces in the squeeze bottles depending on the particular sauce. If you want to drive the base model knock yourself out. I’ll take the power windows and locks for a couple dollars more. 😁 

one might also realize you can fill the squeeze bottles with a jar if you’re that frugal. 

BTW, it’s not watered down or thinned down. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️😁
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    I love them. I buy 1/2 gallons and refill the bottles 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    I first saw BH in the squeeze bottles at Ace last weekend. It saves me the trouble of filling a squirt bottle from a jug, I'm A-OK with it.
  • RRP
    Options
    Well - if anyone is counting then I guess I get the award for p*ssing off the most people on this Friday night. I just use the jars since most of the time I am only saucing racks of ribs. I find pouring some into a dish and then using a brush I can sauce them in a jiffy! Having to squirt a rack seems like it would take more time...but I to each his own!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    I've transferred my peanut oil, EVOO, soy, hoisin, and oyster sauces to squirt bottles; especially good for the oyster sauce which is too thick to pour out of their glass bottles, more so when its refrigerated.  Mayo and ketchup I get in the squirt bottles with the squirter at the bottom, they work well.  

Oddly barbeque sauce I still buy in glass; I normally pour some in a small pot, heat on the stove, and brush it on at the grill.  To each his own.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    I like to squirt on evenly and brush out. In competition I'll warm the sauce squeeze bottle in a water bath so it goes on exactly the same every time but that's competition, not real life.

Have two racks soaking in Magic Juice right now for this weekend
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well - if anyone is counting then I guess I get the award for p*ssing off the most people on this Friday night. I just use the jars since most of the time I am only saucing racks of ribs. I find pouring some into a dish and then using a brush I can sauce them in a jiffy! Having to squirt a rack seems like it would take more time...but I to each his own!
    Use a coffee mug and the brush stays in without falling out.  Also handle.
  • OviedoGoddess
    Options
    There are 4-6 more ounces in the squeeze bottles depending on the particular sauce. If you want to drive the base model knock yourself out. I’ll take the power windows and locks for a couple dollars more. 😁 

one might also realize you can fill the squeeze bottles with a jar if you’re that frugal. 

There are more ounces in the bottles, but they cost a good deal more!  So on a per ounce basis you pay more money, which didn't make any sense to me.  

• pgprescott
    edited May 2023
    Options

There are more ounces in the bottles, but they cost a good deal more!  So on a per ounce basis you pay more money, which didn't make any sense to me.  

Should be $2 more. Not what I’d call a good deal more $.33 or $.5 per ounce more depending on the product. Not sure about that. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:
    I don’t think you pissed anyone off. I would suggest you try the squirt. You pour the sauce into a dish and brush it on because that’s basically the only choice you had other than filling your own squeeze bottles. Now you do have a choice/alternative. I’m not sure how it could be any easier. Not pouring into another container. No second container to clean or manage. Just squirt and brush. No drips no errors. 

There is a reason they are making them and they sell 10-1 over the jars. Just saying. You might get converted, or not. It’s a $2 experiment. 👍🏻😁
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We've offered the squeeze version for over a year now.  From a retail point of view, much less shipping damage with the plastic vs glass.  We sell many empty new squeeze bottles alone for $2-3.  I do think the original version left in fridge becomes stubborn to squeeze out.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    We've offered the squeeze version for over a year now.  From a retail point of view, much less shipping damage with the plastic vs glass.  We sell many empty new squeeze bottles alone for $2-3.  I do think the original version left in fridge becomes stubborn to squeeze out.

That's what I was thinking. I thought they've been in a squeeze bottle the last year or so. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2023
    Options

Stocking back up today.
    Didn't all our spices come in glass jars a few years ago?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    Options
     I want to apologize for what I thought was a funny comment about someone being challenged opening a Mason jar lid. I now know that came across as a hurtful comment to some eggers with arthritis. 

Once again I wish I would use the draft option here so as to re-think something before posting it since there is no working STFU option in my feeble mind! 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,063
    Options
    No one was offended, don’t be a squirt. 😜
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @RRP, personally I do math just like that myself. I’m not driving 10 miles to save .03 per gallon but I almost never choose the convenient route and the Pennie’s keep stacking up.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Stocking back up today.
    Didn't all our spices come in glass jars a few years ago?
     That is exactly what I bought, the combo. The crazy thing is I live in the absolute middle of nowhere. Pretty impressive their marketing reach.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:
     I want to apologize for what I thought was a funny comment about someone being challenged opening a Mason jar lid. I now know that came across as a hurtful comment to some eggers with arthritis. 

Once again I wish I would use the draft option here so as to re-think something before posting it since there is no working STFU option in my feeble mind! 
    It’s not funny or unfunny or even hurtful. It’s just wrong. Just treat yourself and buy the squeeze bottle sauce that will last you 6-12 months and cost $2 more that $.165-$.33 per month. You can stretch it. 😁
  • RRP
    Options
    Excuse me, Pete...and NOW I AM using the draft option here so as to re-think something before posting it since there is no working STFU option in my feeble mind!