Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Retiring to the lake house, and….

Options
I’m looking for some advice. I have a large and a small BGE mounted in a large table I built here in Raleigh NC.  Probably not taking the table, because I’d like to have an outdoor kitchen at some point, if the budget allows. In the mean time, what modular setups do y’all have that you really like. I have no interest in a nest, but otherwise I’m wide open for suggestions. Thanks in advance! 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Nothing on the modular deal but congratulations on transitioning to the "every day is Saturday" life style.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i would take the table just for holding the eggs for transport, then burn it.  bge shows these on their site, dont know if they still sell them

Modular Nest EGG Frame

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 368
    Options
    Depending on where you'd use it, some sort of weather protection for it when not in use. An awning, shed or something. And somehow, if needed, wheels to get it there. Otherwise, fishlessman's advice is good.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I know you said "no interest in a nest" but...when we moved about a year ago I left a home with an outdoor kitchen and bought two nests on CL for my large and MM. It was supposed to be temporary until we built another outdoor kitchen. Turns out I LOVE the nests. Super easy to clean around and behind, no wood to rot, completely mobile. A nice cabinet in between them to hold accessories and I'm done. Saved myself a ton of $$. So a vote here for the nests.

Sorry for bringing this up, i did read your original post.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    I know you said "no interest in a nest" but...when we moved about a year ago I left a home with an outdoor kitchen and bought two nests on CL for my large and MM. It was supposed to be temporary until we built another outdoor kitchen. Turns out I LOVE the nests. Super easy to clean around and behind, no wood to rot, completely mobile. A nice cabinet in between them to hold accessories and I'm done. Saved myself a ton of $$. So a vote here for the nests.

All good… I’ve just seen horror stories from rust or a bolt coming loose and it caves in, destroying the egg. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,095
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    ksmyrl said:

All good… I’ve just seen horror stories from rust or a bolt coming loose and it caves in, destroying the egg. 
    Those are not sudden failures, unless you tie a dog to the nest.

Yearly check of the nest for corrosion and bolts for tighness and you will be fine.  Just make sure you get a handler.

I really liked the nest with the fold out composite shelves.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Ozzie…what do you mean by “handler”?

Ronald Reagan

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    The new nests may have it integrated, it has been a while since I looked.

The old nests had the egg just resting in them.  You could buy a handler that added a handle to push it around by and tied the nest directly to the bands on the egg.  Made the entire setup much more rigid and safe.  Honestly, never should have sold nests without them

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Dawgtired said:

The old nests had the egg just resting in them.  You could buy a handler that added a handle to push it around by and tied the nest directly to the bands on the egg.  Made the entire setup much more rigid and safe.  Honestly, never should have sold nests without them

Of course you can push an Egg nest/handler but...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Dawgtired said:

Of course you can push an Egg nest/handler but...

Lol, fair point.  Pulling is easier.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Congrats on retirement!   Build a wooden,
    temporary, setup.   Won’t cost too much and will give you something to do.  

I’ve seen plenty of friends retire-only to get bored.    Maybe building a temporary stand will keep the mind active.  

Mind you I’m speaking from ignorance since I’m no where near retirement age.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    If you retire and are bored, that's personal choice.  The volunteer opportunities are endless as any number of organizations welcome volunteers with open arms.  You can control your schedule and move on if not a fit.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you retire and are bored, that's personal choice.  The volunteer opportunities are endless as any number of organizations welcome volunteers with open arms.  You can control your schedule and move on if not a fit.  FWIW-
    Plus naps.  I look forward to mid-day naps.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    On the lake..Lg & Small
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I'm in the mindset right now .....will never retire and do what I want right now and work until I can't.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I'm in the mindset right now .....will never retire and do what I want right now and work until I can't.
    Are you telling me managing a vacation location isn't a vacation?
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Original handler attaches to the nest and egg

Integrated 

Congrats on retirement 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    My company has changed so much since a top 5 Fortune 500 company bought us. We are so over the top WOKE, and pay cut after pay cut, that after 40+ years in the industry, I just need to bow out. Great story to illustrate things. My father in law was a colonel in the army. Korea and multiple tours in Vietnam. Mainly though, he was just a good ol’ country boy. He loved to play golf, but was really, really, bad. He just wanted to get away from everyone for a little while, as did I. One day after a round we were sitting in the bar, having a cocktail, before heading home. I asked him, “Well dad, did you at least have a good time?”. He said, “Son, it’s like one time this opossum was screwing a skunk. Someone asked the opossum… how was it? Opossum said, well I didn’t get all I wanted, but had all I could stand”. And that my friends sums up the feelings about my job over the last few years. 

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    My company has changed so much since a top 5 Fortune 500 company bought us. We are so over the top WOKE, and pay cut after pay cut, that after 40+ years in the industry, I just need to bow out. Great story to illustrate things. My father in law was a colonel in the army. Korea and multiple tours in Vietnam. Mainly though, he was just a good ol’ country boy. He loved to play golf, but was really, really, bad. He just wanted to get away from everyone for a little while, as did I. One day after a round we were sitting in the bar, having a cocktail, before heading home. I asked him, “Well dad, did you at least have a good time?”. He said, “Son, it’s like one time this opossum was screwing a skunk. Someone asked the opossum… how was it? Opossum said, well I didn’t get all I wanted, but had all I could stand”. And that my friends sums up the feelings about my job over the last few years. 
    That has to be darn frustrating.    While I haven't experienced that directly, I find that the new ESG metric (for publicly traded companies) is changing the dynamics.

My industry is very blue collar driven - although I am a white collar guy with blue collar knowledge.   I am now seeing females jump right over all of us guys who have all the experience (25+ on my side), etc.    Don't get me wrong, some of them are darn good (bright) but getting all the technical bits and bots often requires years of true hands on experience (which they don't have).    It's somewhat like reverse sexism---which no one claims they want either.

Counting down my years...thinking 12 left to sail off...
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas