Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever get a Solo Stove

Thinking about buying one. I remember a lot of talk about them here when they released. Anyone who bought one still have it and care to share their opinion?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Following this
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • I have the bonfire for home use and a ranger for the 5th wheel, The ranger is a little more work because you really need shorter logs that want stick up above the smoke ring. I buy the store bought stuff and take a chop saw to them. Over time I like the ranger better because it's a little shorter and seems to put more heat lower to the ground. You will go through more wood but you want smell like smoke at the end of the night.
    Niceville, Fl
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I looked at both Solo Stove and Breeo and went with the Breeo. The build quality is much beefier. Now, if you are wanting the Solo Stove because of portability, then it is a good bet. If portability doesn't matter get the Breeo. Its better build quality and has some cool accessories.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629

Here is my redneck homemade version. Works great.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I have a ranger and love it.  Some firewood places will offer “stove wood” which are cut shorter and fit. I got a firewood guy to bring s huge dropoff of stove cuts and scraps for a great price that will last me a couple years. Also the big box retailers were selling orange netted bags of birch that were cut short enough to fit. Pinion is cut short as well.  Have heard but not yet experienced first hand the radiating hest shield.  For a 360 fire they are great.  They will burn a lot of wood if you want to keep the fire visible above the rim. Also they cool down relatively quickly at night.  Would also be happy with the bonfire. One element is emptying out ash. If you are going to do that a lot you will want to handle both to see what size works best. 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    If I didn't live in an apartment, I would own one.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I've not seen Solo Stove's Pizza Oven mentioned here.  Went to their website and I could not get access; googlez tells me that the "Site Owner has restricted your access".  Huh.  
    Anyhow, here's a short video from EweTube that may be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05_283Rwysc

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    We have one that we bring with us camping, love it:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I have one and like it. I have the bonfire size and take it camping. It came with a nice travel bag. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I purchased one (and the extra accessories) for my Daughter / Son in Law last Christmas. They love it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629

Been going for 1-1/2 half years. This is tonight while cooking steaks on the mini.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited August 2022
    I'd like to take it with me in the RV and am debating between the ranger and the Bonfire. I like the washer mods, but love the idea of most of the heat going up since I live in the DEEP DEEP south.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    If you have the room.... Bonfire.....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    My brother has the Solo. It’s super efficient. Near smokeless. Almost to efficient. Burns through wood like crazy.  Pretty light weight if you plan to travel with it. Build quality is very good but it’s very light gauge material. So will/can dent with a light kick or let roll around say in a truck bed. The Solo also does not get as hot under the unit while it’s burning.
    I bought a Breeo. It’s not as smokeless as the Solo but still damn good. And it’s built like a tank. At least compared to the Solo. I’m happy with my choice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CTMike said:
    We have one that we bring with us camping, love it:

That's not camping
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bought a Bonfire a couple of years ago, and love it. The washer drum firepits are also nearly smokeless, but the math was upside down when I took into account the time and effort to source an old washer, break it open to get at the drum, then dispose of the washer carcass. 

The Breeo is very nifty, especially some  of the cooking accessories. The Solo Stove may be better to take on the road though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Yes. I bought the largest one and didnt use it for a year...and then when I fired it up last december for the first time all i could say is wow, this thing really works. When fired up properly, almost no smoke
    Only complaint is getting the bits of ash out of the bottom part as the grid that wood sits on it isnt removable

Other than that no complaints,  buy it and be happy
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Have the Bonfire. We really enjoy it on the patio. No complaints. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • I have the Bonfire.  It is solid.  I would recommend it.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Only complaint is getting the bits of ash out of the bottom part as the grid that wood sits on it isnt removable 
    They actually fixed that with the new ones and added a removable ash pan.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    as is most things on this site, I shouldn't have read this thread as I will likely end up dropping more cash on cool toys. 
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    I heard the only downside to the Solo is it doesn’t put out any heat. Great in summer, but not when I’d use it in SC. It’d be more for fall and winter. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    They actually fixed that with the new ones and added a removable ash pan.
    Ahhh my impatience stuck again!   Well I will just have to get the improved one!
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I looked at both Solo Stove and Breeo and went with the Breeo. The build quality is much beefier. Now, if you are wanting the Solo Stove because of portability, then it is a good bet. If portability doesn't matter get the Breeo. Its better build quality and has some cool accessories.
    This is my same story. I've been to neighbors houses where they have had a Solo going and they work well. Still glad I got the Breeo with lid though because my pit stays in place. Over a year of use it's dirty but no sign of age other than the natural petina of the Corten steel outer