Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small egg band question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small egg with a non-autolock band, which I purchased in Nov. At first, it was very difficult to open the lid more than 6" or so. The lid has loosened up over time, and I can get it open enough to cook safely, but now the thing won't stay open unless I hold it with one hand. Is this normal? My brother in law had this hinge system on his large, until I bought him the autolock. I recall his lid opening far enough for it to stay open on its own. To close his egg, you had to wiggle the hinges around. I have an autolock on my large, but I'm not very familiar with the non-autolock.[p]Any suggestions? If I pull too hard on the top to open it, the top pops out of the band.[p]Thanks in advance,[p]DSS

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    David Saliba, From my experience I used some WD40 on hinges, sides and rearand opened and shut until reasonably free to operate. To lock in place I pull forward on the side hinges slightly and you will notice the stop tab on the hinges. The disadvantage of that is using two hands to release hinges and lower dome but better than slamming shut on own. I have a small also and was hoping for new design. Hope this makes some sense.
    Painter

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribset1.jpg
    <p />David Saliba,[p]This is a main question I have for the reps from BGE who are going to be at Eggfest2001. I am pretty sure they are working a new design in but not sure of the time frame. I got my small Egg a year ago and it had a bent band that made it scrape metal from the metal supports when opened. It worked but the replacement is better, but mine is still stiff - very stiff and I can open it and it stays open by the friction in the supports, not the locking bands. The idea is like the original bands (pictured) for the large, the two side supports are two pieces that lock to hold open the dome. [p]I had to go find an old picture of my large Egg that had the original bands. You can see how the two piece support is pulled towards you and it locks the dome up (both sides). Your small may be to stiff to fully open enough to lock them - or its too loose. Nature Boy's small opens 1000% easier than mine, his supports almost wobble they are so loose and its tricky to open the dome and pull the supports so they lock. Maybe he can elaborate.[p]Tim
  • olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    The small's band is unsatisfactory. It just doesn't open enough. I've not had a problem with it slamming shut though. I'd like to see a better band
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    olblue, well, let me tell you...I'm still on the original locking band for my large BGE, but at just 10 months I'm on band #3 for my small.
    This topic has been discussed here before at length. Email me for discussion, if you wish, but I will tell you right now Ed Fisher himself personally authorized the replacement of my first (with me paying the postage) and then he replaced that replacement at his expense including the postage. It's just not a matter of the hinge angle that binds it's a matter that the rivets weren't set properly.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.