Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Whirly Bird Extinct?

Options
I can't seem to find the Whirly Bird rub anywhere.  Did I miss an announcement about it being discontinued?  Or does anyone know where to find it?

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited March 2022
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • airvonb
    airvonb Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!  Inline updates below...

loco_engr said:
    https://www.finesgas.com/details/big_green_egg_accessories/490923794173.html

>>>>>Fine's Gas does not ship and only allows for local pick-up in  Fort Oglethorpe, GA.

https://saffordtrading.com/shop/outdoor-gear-and-recreation/cookers/cooker-and-grill-accessories/dizzy-gourmet-whirly-bird/

>>>>>Safford Trading has a strange bug in their shopping cart and currently charges $2,134 shipping.  So, that's not an affordable option either.

Thanks again for the reply, but it sounds like Whirly Bird is going away for some reason.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited March 2022
    Options
    airvonb said:

Thanks again for the reply, but it sounds like Whirly Bird is going away for some reason.
    While I never tried it just be aware that BGE has never been in the rub business…just putting their label on products made by others. If you want to explore some wonderful rubs suited for chicken and other meats then you can’t beat those FRESHLY ground and mixed ones from DizzyPigBBQ

Chris has been an egger for years, much less a winner of MANY National awards across the country!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I believe they are discontinued. I think several years now since they have been available. It was part of a series made by dizzy pig for BGE. I’ve always thought it was a combo of raging river and tsunami spin. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That do have a rub called wonder bird also. I’m sure none of them will be exact. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I believe they are discontinued. I think several years now since they have been available. It was part of a series made by dizzy pig for BGE. I’ve always thought it was a combo of raging river and tsunami spin. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That do have a rub called wonder bird also. I’m sure none of them will be exact. 
    Agree
    A quick phone call to Dizzy Pig would probably put him on the money.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,668
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Agree
    A quick phone call to Dizzy Pig would probably put him on the money.
    There is a chance https://eggheadforum.com/profile/Nature Boy can mix this blend for you

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options

Thanks, Pete…I knew that rub was from DP back when there was love between BGE corporate and DP. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP, there is still love, just that the reality is they are no longer using Dizzy to mix their blends. 
    Sorry, if I offended you, Chis!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    If you are ordering from Dizzy Pig, then I highly highly recommend you buy the Crossroads rub in the largest container you can justify, and the Mad Max Turkey rub. Both are absolute grand slams.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Wonder Bird is Legit. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
    I bought the works and haven't found a seasoning I don't like. The hat I bought was Texas orange. I'm pretty sure it was a mistake and was intended to be a little closer to Clemson orange. I wear it proudly 🙂
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Dizzy Pig is having  15% off sale with code  spices15  until 3/13
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Just ordered 2 spices from Dizzy Pig! Can't wait to try them. Got the Crossroads and the Wonder Bird
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @airvonb I use many of the Dizzy pig rubs.  Favorites raging River, pineapple head and crossroads.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle