Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Strange Issue With Cascade Platinum ActionPacs Dishwasher Detergent

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
edited February 2022 in EggHead Forum
A issue showed up with the old Whirlpool Dishwasher, soap suds and water leaking from bottom of the door.  Without any proof I immediately accused Angie of not thoroughly rinsing the heavily soiled items that she pre-soaks in regular dish soap.  That was a mistake on several levels!  One being it was not the cause of the leak.
The door gasket looked OK, no cracks or any obvious signs of failure.  For $10. I replaced it anyway, figuring at over 25 years old it had to be the problem.  Nope.
Found several examples on the web of people having the same issue when using these ActionPacs in older dishwashers.  Apparently some older models have more powerful motors/water pressure than modern models.  This cause over sudsing which leads to leaks past the door seal.
We switched back to Cascade liquid in the green bottle and all is well now.
*Edits to remove excess whitespace

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Strange, those are all I use in my whirlpool. There is a sticker on the door that even recommends them for best performance. Mine is only 2 years old though. I do have a water softener that makes soap more sudsy than normal and still no issues. I do not pre-rinse anything. A normal cycle does take a few hours minimum, whether that makes a difference or not, who knows
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    No problems with my dishwasher and these tabs?

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Although all dishwasher manufacturers say using pods is ok in all machines, I think they do this to satisfy customers who want to use them, and most being lazy. I don't think they are a good choice. Dishwashers have varying cycle times. There is no way the melt rate is optimum for all applications. Best using pre-soap. Main soap. Rinse aid. Let the machine add it where it is timed properly. Pods are more expensive as well. Water chemistry and pump pressures can have certain soaps act up by over-sudsing or sometimes poor cleaning.
     I have serviced home appliances for 30 years.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    With ours, we had an issue of water 'sloshing over' the very low tub rim at the front. There isn't any seal at the bottom of the door, just the rim outside the door. A problem with the spray arm had waves building up in the tub and eventually overtopping the rim. Fixing it fixed that. 

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories