Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Difference in the raised grate and the regular grate?

What differences have you noticed in smoking and/or grilling between the regular grate and the raised grate? I am going to smoke some wings today on both grates at once and then grill them to get the skin right. Thanks!
BBQ addict...recovering pellet smoker.

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    The raised grid is much closer to the dome thermometer.  At different times, under different set-ups, it can be hotter than the lower grid, or colder than the lower grid.  It really depends on the situation.

For direct cooking, the lower grid typically is hotter (closer to the coals).  For indirect, the opposite is true because the heat is reflected off the dome.

I have done the exact cook you are doing.  For the "smoking" phase, indirect, you will notice little difference.  Your top wings might get to temp a little quicker.  But, when you "grill them to get the skin right", I would do that on the lower grid only.  Even if you do them in two batches for room.

You can also rotate them a few at a time if you see they are cooking unevenly.

Good question!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Nice explanation.  To get the proper jargon down, a grate is the thing the burning charcoal sits on.  A grid is where you make delicious food.  I know, to-may-to, to-mah-to.  But that’s the way it is.  Now go cook something and if you’re so inclined, post it with photos. I’m looking forward to it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Thanks for the outstanding explanation Langner.

Fred, you may be right but I have been on a bunch of smoking forums for years and have never heard this distinction between a grate and a grid. I have read about smoking in numerous books and even in how-to books supplied by the manufacturers of pits and never heard this distinction. I know that some may add a word like cooking or grill/grilling to grates but you are the first person to tell me it's a grid. Very interesting. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i pretty much only use the regular height for searing, raised for most other cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    i pretty much only use the regular height for searing, raised for most other cooks
    Interesting point.  I guess I assumed the OP was talking about two levels, like with an AR or the BGE set up.

@rdsbucks, if I misunderstood, let us know what your set up is.  What levels are you using (at the Fire ring, felt line, in the dome, etc.)?

Clinton, Iowa
  • No you understood it correctly. Using two heights at once was my concern. Langner91 said:
    Interesting point.  I guess I assumed the OP was talking about two levels, like with an AR or the BGE set up.

@rdsbucks, if I misunderstood, let us know what your set up is.  What levels are you using (at the Fire ring, felt line, in the dome, etc.)?

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I've only come across "grid" vs "grate" jargon with regards to BGEs.

I'm surprised they haven't conjured an egg name for the cooking grategrids. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • fishlessman
    two levels, cut the wings into drummettes and wingettes. indirect setup. drummettes take more heat so place them around the circumference where its hotter. you will still need to move them around some.
    fukahwee maine

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    rdsbucks said:
    Thanks for the outstanding explanation Langner.

Fred, you may be right but I have been on a bunch of smoking forums for years and have never heard this distinction between a grate and a grid. I have read about smoking in numerous books and even in how-to books supplied by the manufacturers of pits and never heard this distinction. I know that some may add a word like cooking or grill/grilling to grates but you are the first person to tell me it's a grid. Very interesting. 
    Neither have I. A grate is a grate, location doesn't matter.
  • fishlessman
    this is easier than two grates. 20 wings cut into 40 pieces on a 10 inch grate in a mini. toss them in a bowl, mix them up, back in the fry basket every 10 minutes til done

fukahwee maine

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    this is easier than two grates. 20 wings cut into 40 pieces on a 10 inch grate in a mini. toss them in a bowl, mix them up, back in the fry basket every 10 minutes til done

Like a BBQ wing orgy. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22