Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overbite

Options
My large Big Green Egg has developed an underbite rendering the dome poorly sealed. Please see the attached photos. Can you give me some ideas as to how to correct this problem? Thank you

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    edited September 2021
    Options
    The rule of thumb with a BGE that I have found that is nearly 100% true is gaps (meaning the planes of dome and base don’t close properly) is simply that…the dome and base need to be adjusted by loosening the bolts on the bands and pressing down on the dome to make it sit properly.

OTOH overbite, underbite and side bite are always an indication of a problem with the band and/or the hinge itself.

The newer bands supposedly are much easier to adjust the “bite” problems while the older band problems are often solved with PATIENCE and a smig of properly applied brute strength! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • swbouton
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.  My egg and the bands are at least 10 years old.  Should I loosen top and bottom bands or just one at a time?  
  • RRP
    Options
    swbouton said:
    Thank you for your reply.  My egg and the bands are at least 10 years old.  Should I loosen top and bottom bands or just one at a time?  
    Close the dome and then loosen both sets so that the bands can move freely and then re-tighten.
  • RRP
    Options
    swbouton said:
    I sent you a Personal Message since you might not be familiar with the notification process this forum uses.
  • swbouton
    Options
    RRP, your advice worked great!  I appreciate your help.  Thank you.
  • RRP
    Options
    Great!
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Get the the new style bands when you’re ready. They’re a heck of an improvement over the old style. I used my old style ones so much I had to keep alternating the bolt/nut tension between the top snd bottom rings to work with ever changing over and underbite.