Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken

Options
I saw on the BGE Instagram #darksideofthegrill did a spatchcocked chicken.  I have wanted to try it so I figured might as well.  It was great.  Photos below.

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Pretty bird!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    Looks good.  One my favorite cooks on the egg.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    you have this down!
    nice looking cook
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    Looking good! 

Just wondering: is there any reason to go through the 'effort' of doing this, if you have a rotisserie available? I just stick 'em on and watch it twirl =)
  • N10
    N10 Posts: 9
    Options
    iudex said:
    Looking good! 

Just wondering: is there any reason to go through the 'effort' of doing this, if you have a rotisserie available? I just stick 'em on and watch it twirl =)
    Doesn’t that make you dizzy
    Xl Big Green Egg. Just sold the reverse smoker for something smaller. 
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    N10 said:
    iudex said:
    Looking good! 

Doesn’t that make you dizzy
    You've got it all wrong, BEER makes you dizzy 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    iudex said:
    Looking good! 

You can get good results with both, but I don't think you can get crispy skin with a rotisserie if you care about that. I also don't think it's any additional effort to spatchcock a bird vs. tying up and centering on a rotisserie, not to mention the clean up. I say this as someone who doesn't have a rotisserie, but obviously a fan of spatchcock.
    Stillwater, MN
  • rdsbucks
    Options
    Looks good. What was your cooking temp? And how important is the grid extender for chicken?
    BBQ addict...recovering pellet smoker.
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    rdsbucks said:
    Looks good. What was your cooking temp? And how important is the grid extender for chicken?
    I was at 350.  Not sure how important the extender is.  I watched a video from Darksideofthegrill and he said to use it although he did not in his video.  I bet it does not make much of a difference but I have only done it once.

• Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    I feel it helps with the skin as it is closer to the dome
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    Bar said:
    I feel it helps with the skin as it is closer to the dome
    That would make sense.