Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Pellet Grill

My father is retiring around Christmas. He wants a pellet smoker. I have a Medium and XL egg and have tried to get him to use/get and egg. I think he likes the ability to just push buttons. Which one should I (and my sisters) get him?  I love steaks on the egg at 600-700 but it seems most pellet grills don’t get that high. 

Comments

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    It is pricey, and had some early problems, but the weber smokefire is one to look at. 

I don't own one, but I've looked at it a couple of times. 

I have a pitboss pro 820 and it is OK, but I would not recommend it unless it's a second or third grill. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • I like my rec teq bull. You lose some Smokey flavor but it’s as easy as it gets. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I've read good things about:
    https://memphisgrills.com/
    They are pricey but are supposedly top quality.
    Another one to consider is:
    https://cookshack.com/products/fast-eddys-by-cookshack-pg1000-pellet-grill/

Either would make an excellent retirement gift.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    There are multiple threads here about pellet smokers including posted quite recently.  Give the Search function here a look and you will find lots of information regarding brands, pros/cons etc. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    If you think he will want to sear a steak, I agree on the weber.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Traeger in my opinion.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    I have a Memphis, which can direct sear well over 650* and smoke down to 180*.  I really love my Kamados, but most of my cooking is on the Memphis.  For searing, cast iron on whatever burner beats any grill.
  • I've have the GMG and previously the other brand.   Better luck with the GMG. 

Now,  though my GMG sits idol...

Steaks on CI in the pizza oven. 

Green mountain grill pizza oven. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I asked the same question last year for a friend over on the Brethren. The two most popular responses were RecTec and Grilla Grills
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I asked the same question here around a year ago as my son was looking to get a pellet smoker.  He landed on RecTec, in part because of the recommendations here and also from a couple of his friends who each have one.  He really likes the wi-fi connectivity and control from distance.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    edited September 2021
    @cclarke142 You mentioned high heat cook for steaks which is why I suggested looking at the weber.

A few folks bought the Smokefire and speak highly of them on the weber forum love them for their versatility of low smoke to higher temp cooks. There is a couple of mod's they've done to address some issues.

It has been on sale all summer, and is again on sale through mid november, and has a 100 day guarantee if you don't like it. 

https://www.weber.com/US/en/smokefire-money-back-guarantee.html

Does your father have another grill like a gas grill? If so then maybe that handles the high heat so the smoker doesn't have to. Smoke the steaks then reverse sear in a cast iron skillet on the gasser. 

Just some random thoughts.

Right now if someone handed me $1000 for my pitboss, I would probably buy a Rectec RT 700, but I would look again again more closely at the smokefire first.

good luck. Great idea for a retirement present.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • danhoo
    My father is retiring around Christmas. He wants a pellet smoker. <snip>
    I meant to ask before, what is he cooking on now? Will the smoker be in addition to what he has? or will it be replacing it? 

• My son has the $1k Traeger and loves it.  If you have to go the pellet route, it’s pretty darn idiot proof. 
    After living on both coasts, I've made my way back to the mid-west, Illinois to be exact.  
  • He has a small camping butane grill and sometimes uses an electric smoker. 
  • I love the ease of my rec teq for quick cooks but I miss the Smokey taste. I’ve tried all kinds of pellets and it’s just missing smoke. Using 100% oak lumberjack right now. Hopefully that will be a little smokier. 
  • I sear at really high temps on my weber smokefire.  It is an outstanding grill.  I don't even use it as a smoker.  It has replaced most of my high temp grilling that I do.  I take the cover off, hit the button, and go inside and prep the meat.  Within 10 minutes I get an alert on my phone that I am at 600F+.  The thing gets HOT, like you open the lid and lose eyebrows hot.

I bought the gen2, which came out last December.  If you do much research on them, you will find all kinds of problems with the gen1.  You can ignore them if you are going new, but if you buy used, weber will send all the parts to turn your gen1 into a gen2.  Weber is awesome to work with.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    edited September 2021
    Looks fantastic!  How was the smoke flavor?
    Not judging or wanting conflict.
    Just asking because I am considering one of these.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Bar said:
    That’s a great question!
    I would compare it to cooking on the Egg using good clean burning lump and adding minimal mild wood chunks.
    Honestly, I like it. It puts out more wood smoke flavor/smell while its burning and I was expecting more smoke taste and was pleasantly surprised. Wife dies not like a strong smoke profile. I like strong smoke the first day but I’m over it by the time I open the bag of leftovers the next day. Only used 2 different brands of pellets so far. Both were a mild comp blend. B&B and Pit Masters. They are both about $16 for a 40 pound bag. About half the price of the big name brands. So call them Royal Oak compared to Rock Wood and Fogo. There are easy ways to add more smoke if it’s wanted. So if you want or expect true pit smoke profile you may find this lacking. 
    So far I’m pretty happy with the performance and taste of the food.
    With all the electronics and moving parts, I would not want this to be my only outdoor cooker. But zero complaints so far. Still fairly new to me, but if you have any specific questions fire away.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    That is one of my concerns with these pellet smokers. I like the idea of them being so simple, but the moving parts and especially the electronics make me nervous they would only last a few years and then require expensive repairs.  The egg will cook for 20+ years.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited September 2021
    Sometimes I add a smoke tube when using the smoke fire if more smoke is needed. Works pretty well. I still need to try the charcoal pellets in my garage ….

EDIT: Congrats to me on my 3000th post.
  • Bar
    edited September 2021
    EDIT: Congrats to me on my 3000th post.
    Congratulations!
  • Bar
    Photo Egg said:
    Bar said:
    That’s a great question!
    I would compare it to cooking on the Egg using good clean burning lump and adding minimal mild wood chunks.
    Honestly, I like it. It puts out more wood smoke flavor/smell while its burning and I was expecting more smoke taste and was pleasantly surprised. Wife dies not like a strong smoke profile. I like strong smoke the first day but I’m over it by the time I open the bag of leftovers the next day. Only used 2 different brands of pellets so far. Both were a mild comp blend. B&B and Pit Masters. They are both about $16 for a 40 pound bag. About half the price of the big name brands. So call them Royal Oak compared to Rock Wood and Fogo. There are easy ways to add more smoke if it’s wanted. So if you want or expect true pit smoke profile you may find this lacking. 
    With all the electronics and moving parts, I would not want this to be my only outdoor cooker. But zero complaints so far. Still fairly new to me, but if you have any specific questions fire away.
    Thanks for the detailed reply.  👍
    I also have a wife that does not like a strong smoke profile.
    I do wonder how well/long the electronic and moving parts will hold up in an extremely humid environment.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    I like my rec teq bull. You lose some Smokey flavor but it’s as easy as it gets. 

1 2nd that on the smoke flavor, just dont get much off my Rec Tec either. More at lower temps
  • Photo Egg
    Bar said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Bar said:
    That’s a great question!
    Thanks for the detailed reply.  👍
    I also have a wife that does not like a strong smoke profile.
    I do wonder how well/long the electronic and moving parts will hold up in an extremely humid environment.
    Most of the parts that might go bad are modular and can be replaced. But you still have to have some working knowledge to troubleshoot and repair yourself.
    My main concern, at least with the Weber, is the thin stamped steel body parts. The better Weber gas grills use nice stainless on the burner tubes and such, but the frame rusts away.
    I hope to get 5 years out of the Smokefire. So far no issues with pellets in humidity. But it’s been fairly dry for the last month.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tspud1 said:
    I like my rec teq bull. You lose some Smokey flavor but it’s as easy as it gets. 

1 2nd that on the smoke flavor, just dont get much off my Rec Tec either. More at lower temps
    I haven’t tried adding a pellet tray yet but I will next cook. The smokier the better for me and straight pellets arent doing enough. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 said:

I haven’t tried adding a pellet tray yet but I will next cook. The smokier the better for me and straight pellets arent doing enough. 
    I have both tray and tube and I use one on next cook. I want to a big batch of wings and freeze for future frying.
  • Photo Egg
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:

I have both tray and tube and I use one on next cook. I want to a big batch of wings and freeze for future frying.
    Hope you let us know how much smoke it adds.
     Thanks 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tspud1
    Photo Egg said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Tspud1 said:

Hope you let us know how much smoke it adds.
     Thanks 

I will, just dont use often now. Did a prime rib roast , whole chicken and a Pork tenderloin this weekend but didnt fire up the pellet cooker. My brake press had a motor burn out so couldnt bend your cover, back up and running so it should go today or tomorrow
  • danhoo
    are y'all adding the smoke tube or tray to the pellet? or to an egg?