Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green olive company charcoal.

Hey,

Does anyone have any experience with this charcoal. Found in local garden centre and was thinking of giving it a go.

im based in the UK. So I don’t think they don’t have too much choice.

Answers

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2021
    Welcome and these members below will be your biggest help with charcoal and your location. 

@Eoin
    @CPFC1905
    @Stormbringer
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,010
    @Thebeast welcome to the forum! I use Green Olive charcoal exclusively, the premium restaurant grade stuff. It has neutral aromatics, so I use smoking chunks to get specific smoke flavours. The charcoal is made from shea oak which is very dense. This means it can take longer to get going (I have a Looftlighter for this) but it burns for ages. Also, check out my food blog in the sig below, there's some UK specific stuff in it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Thebeast
    Thebeast Posts: 26
    Cool thanks, @Stormbringer is it better than the big green egg charcoal? How much longer does it take to light? Just waiting for my flame boss to make an appearance. I currently have one of each flavour. Sorry I don’t see your blog in your sig, but I’d love to read it! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Thebeast said:
    Cool thanks, @Stormbringer is it better than the big green egg charcoal? How much longer does it take to light? Just waiting for my flame boss to make an appearance. I currently have one of each flavour. Sorry I don’t see your blog in your sig, but I’d love to read it! 

bge charcoal in the us is a less expensive royal oak lump put in an expensive green bag. if its shipped overseas i cant imagine the cost. royal oak is a descent convenient to get lump here at a descent cost
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    @Thebeast

If you are on a mobile device, signatures are not visible.  Here is the blog: http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Stormbringer
    Thebeast said:
    I think it is, yes. Why? It's literally half the price of the BGE stuff, does the same job and last longer. It doesn't take that long to get going, maybe 10 mins longer than the BGE stuff and that's only if you light it using a BGE lighter block. I use a Looftlighter (hot air blower), gets the charcoal lit in a matter of seconds. Yuo can find that item on amazon.co.uk. 
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,850
    Welcome aboard @Thebeast  Whereabout are you?
    Green Olive is nice,  Oxford is expensive,  BGE is my last resort.   I tend to get restaurant grade from Ebay   @Stormbringer has wealth beyond imagination  =)
    I tried to get some Globaltic recently but that all went pear shaped in a PayPal / Hermes maelstrom of despair.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Thebeast
    Cheers everyone. I’ll give this olive a go from my garage. I got the premium professional there. :) I’ll order some direct to get the discounts!
  • Thebeast
    @Stormbringer a loofighter fell into my basket. Coming tomorrow. I assume I just light one place in the middle of bbq or do you make a bigger fire with it? All very much a bear ing curve for me.
  • Stormbringer
    Thebeast said:
    @Stormbringer a loofighter fell into my basket. Coming tomorrow. I assume I just light one place in the middle of bbq or do you make a bigger fire with it? All very much a bear ing curve for me.
    Yep light it in the middle of the coals and pull it away when the coal start glowing. There's probs an instructional on YouTube somewhere.

• Thebeast
    I appreciate all the help. Now to find somewhere to pop 120kg charcoal!!
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,850
    Thebeast said:
     :o   Somewhere dry,  that's for sure.   And do plenty of cooks. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Stormbringer
    CPFC1905 said:
    Thebeast said:
     :o   Somewhere dry,  that's for sure.   And do plenty of cooks. 
    ^^ this. And post pics!

• Thebeast
    @Stormbringer done a couple of bits so far!! Only got the looft 1 as the x wasn’t on next day delivery.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Alderline for me now as it's completely smoke neutral and ready to cook on in minutes. BGE is pricey and not that good. I've been waiting for Ed's road test of Globaltic (personal recommendation from Hoggy), but he seems to have fallen at the first hurdle. As a general rule, if it's smokey once lit, it's not very good.