Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I cook boneless chuck short ribs?

Options

I’m not sure what I was thinking when I bought these.  They aren’t beef plate ribs, nor are they Korean short ribs.  I don’t know if these are a low and slow, or hot and fast cook.  

They feel very tender, and appear to be very marbled…like a steak.  But anything labeled “ribs” makes me think they need time to tenderize.

I have all afternoon tomorrow to cook them.  What do you think?  Braise? Smoke at 250 for a couple hours?  Should I be looking for any specific internal temp? 

Suggested sides? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Best Answer

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I’ve done these several times. I usually cook them like little single serving briskets. Salt and pepper rub, 2-3 hours in smoke at 275*, then foil or paper wrap until 200* and probing like butter. They are really tasty. 
    Michiana, South of the border.

Answers

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can slow cook (smoke) them on the egg, braise, or cook them like a steak to rare/medium rare.  If you cook like a steak, cut thin across the grain.  The flavor is good and there's a little chew to them like a flank steak.
    Options
    I would treat them like burnt ends and smoke for a couple of hours then braise until tender. 

Not my blog- just found by google and he is using ribs that look similar. 
    Beef Short Rib Burnt Ends - Carne Diem

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, gang.  I ended up doing a braise in bbq sauce/apple cider vinegar, beef broth.  I had my temp set to 300 and these sonsabishes still took four hours to hit 195-200.

They were slightly underdone, and had a bit of chew to them.  I promised dinner at 5:30, and by 6:45 the family was starving.   Flavor, however was dynamite.

Ill definitely take them higher next time, and will consider wrapping them.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Canadianegger2020
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I’ve done these several times. I usually cook them like little single serving briskets. Salt and pepper rub, 2-3 hours in smoke at 275*, then foil or paper wrap until 200* and probing like butter. They are really tasty. 
     Agree I do the same .