Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ SloRoller for large BGE

Options
New video from All Things BBQ: https://youtu.be/1qWeD2hzlQk .

The KJ SloRoller is available for the sale separately now and fits the large, but no the XL.  
XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
Memphis  

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    edited July 2021
    Options
    For indirects on my Large I have a plate setter, a CGS Adjustable Rig and a Spider w/small pizza stone.  Those three items give flexibility and good results.
    Anyone have insights on why the SloRoller is superior to those items?
    *edit to add... The video shows no drip pan.  Seems to me the drippings will drain down between the firebox and the base in that configuration.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    For indirects on my Large I have a plate setter, a CGS Adjustable Rig and a Spider w/small pizza stone.  Those three items give flexibility and good results.
    Anyone have insights on why the SloRoller is superior to those items?
    *edit to add... The video shows no drip pan.  Seems to me the drippings will drain down between the firebox and the base in that configuration.
    I had the same thought, although there is plenty of room between it and the grid to add a pan. 

Looks pretty cool, without the diffuser you kinda get a Vortex. KJ has done a great job in making different accessories. Something BGE should start doing. 

One thing is for sure though. Those ribs were not cooked on there. Ol’ boy put like five pieces of charcoal in that thing. 

Las Vegas, NV

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like the concept, but it’s only good up to 500 degrees. So you would need another setup for higher temp cooks like pizza.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I guess ignorance is bliss, but this seems like a solution in search of a problem for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Halfway interested in this so I thought I would read the reviews, and check the price. I am sold now that this thing actually somehow produces smoke rings you can taste…
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I listened to the podcast when they were first releasing it… the claims were better airflow (like an offset) and zero hotspots.    I like the idea, but honestly can not justify it.  @unoriginalusername has a good YouTube video on it vs hear deflectors.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    I don't see how this is any different than using the plate setter. With both the heat is directed to the outside of the egg creating a vortex. If you want to make them appear more similar, use the plate setter with legs down.

And, as already stated, the plate setter can handle higher temperatures.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    My pellet cooker makes the most amazing smoke rings your eyes will ever taste. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I listened to the podcast when they were first releasing it… the claims were better airflow (like an offset) and zero hotspots.    I like the idea, but honestly can not justify it.  @unoriginalusername has a good YouTube video on it vs hear deflectors.   
    thanks.  i got the exact same smoke ring with it and without it.

it has increasing benefits at hotter temps (270+ where there is enough air moving i do notice a difference on chicken (425) etc.

It is also pretty even, i have recorded temps within 1 degree front and back of the grill... so when doing chicken wings the entire grid space is available which is nice.

what they video above doesn't tell you, is that to fit the L egg or the similar sized 1/2 KJ is that the grid tapers down from less than 18" so you are losing some total SQ in