Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What food did you grow up on, and can't STAND now?

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    RRP said:
    Campbell's chicken noodle and tomato soup. Probably the first food that I was allowed to cook (heat up) and I had my share. I can't see a scenario where I'll ever buy another can of either. 
    That’s funny to me! Having never had those soups as a kid then just this Lenten  
    season I introduced myself and my wife to some Friday noon meals of Campbell Tomato soup made with half and half along with grilled cheese sandwiches! 

i make my tomato soup using milk and ragu spaghetti sauce now but my favorite cake is a campbells tomato soup cake with a cream cheese frosting. similar to a spiced carrot cake
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    edited June 2021
    Options
    still like clove flavored necco wafers and spaghettios with meatballs, still hate fried or grilled or baked liver of anykind.  should add canned b&m bread to the things i still like, with raisins its a holy grail
    fukahwee maine

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I cant say that I don't like them now because I just don't eat them anymore.  We had a lot of hamburger helper, spaghetti-o's, pop-tarts, fried bolgna and potatoes, spam.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Super salty Smithfield, VA ham.  And Beanie Weanies (small can with pop top) baked beans and pseudo meat hot dogs).  Always had a can in my vest for deer hunting lunch with my dad. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Bell peppers- my mom put that $hiz in everything.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 393
    Options
    Klik Luncheon Meat  Walmart Canada

Klik - pretty much the same as Spam.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Botch said:
    Since retirement I haven't faded into the depths of coupon-clipping or watching cat videos, but I'm getting close: watching Diners Drive-Ins and Dives on a Saturday night.  Gah.

What did a typical Saturday night look like pre-retirement?

My list 
    • Hi-C
    • Black olives
    • Bubble gum ice cream
    • Anything made with giant zucchini (I swear my parents thought they were saving money by letting them grow to 2+ feet)
    • Fish sticks
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    Since retirement I haven't faded into the depths of coupon-clipping or watching cat videos, but I'm getting close: watching Diners Drive-Ins and Dives on a Saturday night.  Gah.

What did a typical Saturday night look like pre-retirement?
    Pre-retirement: a lot more house-cleaning, mowing, laundry, yardwork, Egging, and motorcycling.  Certainly no triple-D.   =)  

After my recent "sorta musical" reunion with my Iowa dorm buddies of 40 years ago, and the "maybe" disappearance of COVID, I'm thinking a lot about getting back into live music; this would restore my Saturday nights back to their Proper Place.   B)  

(ah, but those 9:00 pm bedtimes...)    

Hello Darkness, my old Friend,

I stood up too fast again...

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    You have a Saturday night problem, not a retirement problem.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Little green sweet peas.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Spam is a quality product.  I have been to one of the plants and it is better managed than any outpatient surgery center in America.  Spaghetti-o’s is a good example of kid-centric flavoring - bland flat metallic taste skewed more sweet than acidic. Breakfast cereals with toys are another good example of “way too sweet” as an adult. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    our fish sticks were deep fried head on smelt, bones and all, actually miss those. been years since ive had em
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Almost all canned vegetables.  My parents were boomers and every meal was served with a variety of canned veggies - peas, corn, green beans, limas etc.   I was out of high school before I knew what a fresh vegetable could taste like. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Almost all canned vegetables.  My parents were boomers and every meal was served with a variety of canned veggies - peas, corn, green beans, limas etc.   I was out of high school before I knew what a fresh vegetable could taste like. 

this one i get. only canned veggie i get is tomatoes and sometimes kidney beans in a pinch. whenever i hear mushy peas with fish and chips my first thought is those canned peas i grew up with =)
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I do like canned beans - pintos, white, black beans etc. The rest I can do without. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I do like canned beans - pintos, white, black beans etc. The rest I can do without. 

canned goya beans soaked and rinsed to be added into a dish of salsa, chili etc.  bushs type beans in a sauce forget it
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    our fish sticks were deep fried head on smelt, bones and all, actually miss those. been years since ive had em
    That brings back a funny memory. In my early days of banking we had an annual men's smelt fry outing. Of course there was beer involved which helped some people eat the smelt whole. But we had one old commercial loan guy who would sit there with a knife and fork that he brought with him, and carefully cut out the bones and cut off the head! He might still be on just his 3rd or 4th smelt and the rest of us were through eating!!!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,324
    Options
    There is a whole list of things that I ate then but didn't necessarily like and that I avoid like the plague now. The first is well done baked steak gray in color. The second thing is butter beans and field peas(purple hull) from the garden. The butterbeans and field peas I mostly dislike because of all of my free labor that went into: planting, weeding, picking, and shelling them in mass quantities plus I didn't particularly like the taste.
    Not many things that I liked then that I don't like now but there is a long list of things that I started to eat and like only after I left home. We just didn't have them at my house when I was growing up.