Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to remove the cast iron rEGGulator vent cap

Options
pauldeluca1967
pauldeluca1967 Posts: 1
edited June 2021 in EggHead Forum
I have a Large BGE with a cast iron rEGGulator vent cap. It is not the daisy wheel style but the newer one.

The vent cap was frozen to the Egg. Likely would have come free once the Egg was fully heated but I did not want to wait for my next cook. So, I grabbed a regular hammer and approached the Egg.

I rapidly tapped lightly (ever so lightly) around the circumference of the vent cap. Tapping enough to break eggshells on steel is the best I can describe how hard. That should hard enough.

I then tapped on the flange (lightly) in an attempt to spin the cap free. On the first tap, the cap jarred slightly. I grabbed it with my hand and voila! It came right off.

The purpose of this event was to install a new cast iron rain cap. I needed to remove the vent cap in order to route the mounting bolt from the underneath side and attach the new cap.

Here's a link to the cap:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C7S33SN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Came out pretty good!

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Welcome.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    As above, I was expecting the shattered story.  A win is a win.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have two eggs with rEGGulators.  My MiniMax is so loose, you have to be careful to not twist the whole thing when opening it.  My large would require the same removal persuasion that @pauldeluca1967 had to use.  Odd.

Glad to see it turned out well!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I was going to suggest a hammer after only reading the title.  Validated.
    Options
    Botch said:
    Very cool!  After reading your first 3 paragraphs I was expecting disaster.   :o  
    And, Welcome!  
    Me too, my stomach still has a knot in it. Glad it worked out.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    Was the rapid tapping around the circumference done at the top of the rEGGulator (tapping downward), maybe like you'd loosen a lid to a jar? Or was it around the side? I'm having the same issue and want mine off so I can replace it.
    Tim
    Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
    Aurora, IL
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I Agree with Ron.  A piece of wood works.  I only removed mine every 4 months for cleaning, and it was stuck tight every time.  I had a piece of 1” hardwood that I put between the egg top and bottom of cap, and a gentle pry popped it loose every time!
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have that cap and the BGE rain cap... I can see using this in flipped up version to avoid lots of heat buildup on that rain cap but I only use that cap if its raining.

It rains so rarely and to match up with egging Ive only used it twice.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Skims_Smokehouse
    Options
    I might go up through the dome and apply upward force on the cap using a wood dowel.  I might also try some loosening torsion with a rope wrapped around the cap and a screwdriver s twisting the rope very tightly.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I have that cap and the BGE rain cap... I can see using this in flipped up version to avoid lots of heat buildup on that rain cap but I only use that cap if its raining.

It rains so rarely and to match up with egging Ive only used it twice.
    I realized today that BGE doesnt come with Ceramic cap anymore, hence why I use the Reggulator rarely and maybe once a year the cover on it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Sumaru
    Sumaru Posts: 1
    Options
    Glad you had success! I'll admit, the hammer method also gave me the heebie jeebies! I just used my Looftlighter to heat the Reggulator, and with my heavy Weber leather BBQ gloves and an automotive trim plastic pry tool, twisted and pried around the circumference until she came off.