Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thirteen Hour 8.5lb Pork Butt

Options
I've been obsessing over perfecting pulled pork and trying out different rubs. This one was inspired by a post I saw awhile back featuring a "gunpowder" rub. I bought the first one I saw on Amazon, (no offense to) Jess Pryles Hardcore Carnivore BLACK Beef Seasoning. The activated charcoal intrigued me. I didn't hesitate to put it on the pork butt because A.) I've seen others use this stuff on pork and B.) it says on the label that it can be applied to any red meat. Anyway, I applied a liberal amount while preheating my BGE for indirect 225-250°F (I made sure it never crept up above 300° during my whole cook) with drip pan under the grate full of an apple cider vinegar, red pepper flake, salt, pepper mixture.

Originally, I intended to Texas Crutch at 160°F internal but I started this butt at 9:15PM and ended up having to add a new load of charcoal at around 2:30AM, so once I had it back on the grate and back up to temp., I decided to just let it ride.
This is what it looked like after nine hours:

At around 8:00AM, it stalled at 190°F internal for about an hour and a half. Finally, at close to 9:45AM, it hit 198°F so I pulled and wrapped in butcher paper. I then wrapped that up in a beach towel and shoved it into my Yeti, and zipped it up to rest for two whole hours.

When two hours was up, I unwrapped it.

I used a latex glove over one of my garden gloves to shred it by hand and was not displeased! This might be my best work to date. It's extremely moist and there isn't an ounce of inedible meat. Also, there doesn't seem to be any fat left on it. I'm impressed by the intense flavor and am now a big fan of the activated charcoal (gunpowder) rub. Not sure if I will Texas Crutch again anytime soon. LET IT RIDE.

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    That looks fantastic 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Great result right there.  Patience rewarded.  Nice ring as well.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Looks great!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • joshpounds90
    Options

This is that melt-in-your-mouth kind of pulled pork.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Excellent result.  If I am not in a hurry I never wrap pork butt.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Psycho_RDMC
    Options
    How did you get the temperature down to 225? I can't get mine below 250 without it choking out the fire.
    Thanks
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    That looks great!

Did you fill your medium all the way with charcoal to start?  I am surprised you had to refill after 5'15".
    Clinton, Iowa
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I bought her Rub a while back, forgot about it.

Used it on some Beef Tenderloin Steaks in Sous Vide- maybe that wasnt the right attempt.
    Used it on some sliders the day and its good.

Is available at the HEB by me and its pricey but will surely put it on the brisket thats up and coming.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Looks really good. Will have to give that rub a try. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Looks fantastic.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    WOW!!!! That’s some of the best looking bark I’ve seen on a butt ever, and great job getting a nice ring on it!

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• joshpounds90
    Options
    How did you get the temperature down to 225? I can't get mine below 250 without it choking out the fire.
    Thanks
    Use less charcoal? Bigger lumps but fewer pieces maybe. I like Fogo lump the best. And I usually start with the bottom vent only a quarter of an inch open with the top mostly closed. Only the small vents on top should breathe.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Nice, that's a long cook for that size butt, obviously due to the lower temperature in the dome ... but that will pay dividends for sure.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!