Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you know where your charcoal comes from

Options
xfire_ATX
xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
Those of use who use Rockwood do... its on the bag but this is crazy
https://newrepublic.com/article/161947/nigeria-where-does-grill-charcoal-come-from
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Humans are experts in not giving a sh!t about the planet in lieu of greed....
    Options
    Mine comes from Ace, most of the time. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Jeff Bezos?

Kidding. Most of mine comes from a dead guy, Sam Walton.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Is it just greed or is it a large populous nation with limited economic options available to much of their citizenry to earn a living?
    I'm sure most of us will willingly/gladly switch to electric smokers/grills right?
    Perhaps the answer is to switch to extruded coconut charcoal as it is made from a byproduct of coconut products made for a variety of food supply and industrial uses.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Is it just greed or is it a large populous nation with limited economic options available to much of their citizenry to earn a living?
    I'm sure most of us will willingly/gladly switch to electric smokers/grills right?
    Perhaps the answer is to switch to extruded coconut charcoal as it is made from a byproduct of coconut products made for a variety of food supply and industrial uses.

It’s okay, @nolaegghead   uses that bagged recycled plywood scrap, treated lumber, etc charcoal. 😜
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Really boils down to world birth control, right?

Annual world population since 10 thousand bce for owid

Options
    1900 to now is pretty astounding. 
    Boom
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    1900 to now is pretty astounding. 
    I think I’d use the word frightening. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Great illustration of the word asymptotic.

Modern (since the Middle Ages) healthcare is a huge part of the reason for this IMHO, but no matter how you look at it, it's staggering.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Wars, famine and pandemics have historically played large parts in limiting population growth.  I would not discount any of them from continuing to do so.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Wars, famine and pandemics have historically played large parts in limiting population growth.  I would not discount any of them from continuing to do so.
    Since 1700, that hasn't really happened much anymore.  I'm expecting a final bump downward due to Global Warming soon (which I don't think we're going to solve (scientifically we can, politically/financially we can't).  
    I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be here to see the answer (somebody send me a text then, mmkay?)  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I heard India isn't doing so well with C19.  They were saying on the radio they are running out of wood to cremate the bodies. Could be fake news.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I heard folks in Texas were burning baseboards to keep warm during the big power outage.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    edited May 2021
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    I will bet that if each of us considers their past health problems/history/incidences of sickness and trauma and as well as those close to them, had we lived 100, 200 or 300 years ago there would have been far fewer of us due to increased mortality from lack of modern medical intervention.

War, famine, natural disaster and pandemics are pretty horrific ways population can decrease.  I would hope the world collectively embraces family planning to mitigate the exploding population.  Sad to see some political parties, when in power, defund any humanitarian groups that promote family planning (primarily through birth control education and aid) because it violates their religious beliefs (with no regard to the religious beliefs of those receiving the humanitarian aid).

Options
    Anyway, full circle here: more people, less trees, less charcoal, higher prices, lower quality.