Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter and temp

Options
Rookie question:  to stabilize the dome target temp, does it matter if the plate setter is placed before or after the target temp is reached?  In other words, do I insert the plate setter just after the fire has settled and the vents are ready to be set or should I let the temp rise to near target and then insert the plate setter?   Or does it matter?   Also:I presume it is best to add flavor chunks immediately prior to the ribs? 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I let the lump get to a pretty good burn before adding the platesetter. I find adding the platesetter immediately after lighting really delays the time it takes to reach temps.
    Add your wood chunks when you add the platestter once the lump/egg is up to temp. The PS will absorb a lot of heat fast.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kappa
    kappa Posts: 5
    Options
    great info....thanks for the assist. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    It doesn't really matter when you add the platesetter.  I usually add it later because if you overshoot temps, it can help bring them down.  However, if you control your temp, you can add when you light so that when you reach stable temps, you are good to go.

I like to bury my wood chunks in the lump so the fire reaches them later instead of just dropping them on top and letting them burn up.  It also helps with a cleaner smoke profile.
    NOLA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    You obviously need the plate setter in there to reach your target temperature, because the dome temp will drop when you insert it. So all that counts is the final temperature with everything inside the egg.

Therefore, certainly you want to put in the plate setter as you HEAT up (on the way to target). The only thing you need to be careful not to do when you put the plate setter in, is snuff out the fire ... that's it.  So really, you put the plate setter in when you are convinced you have a nice burning zone of fire that will continue to burn after you put the plate setter in.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I always put 1 leg of the platesetter in line with the dome thermo to avoid direct heat - or at least to be consistent about temperature. Just do the same thing every time to avoid variation.
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    So my opinion here take it for what it’s worth, but generally if you’re using the plate setter, it’s going to be during a low and slow/smoke, meaning generally a lower cooking temp. My advice would be to start a smaller fire and put the plate setter on pretty quick. It will take longer to get to temp but less risk of overshooting temp. It’s hard to maintain 250 or 275 once the fire gets to a certain point. I used to have a pretty hard time maintaining anything less than 275 even with a flame boss and it was because I was letting the temp get up too high before putting the plate setter or heat deflector in. Changed it up and and now try to start a small fire and bring the fire up slow and can maintain even 225 without issue. 
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    DainW said:
    So my opinion here take it for what it’s worth, but generally if you’re using the plate setter, it’s going to be during a low and slow/smoke, meaning generally a lower cooking temp. My advice would be to start a smaller fire and put the plate setter on pretty quick. It will take longer to get to temp but less risk of overshooting temp. It’s hard to maintain 250 or 275 once the fire gets to a certain point. I used to have a pretty hard time maintaining anything less than 275 even with a flame boss and it was because I was letting the temp get up too high before putting the plate setter or heat deflector in. Changed it up and and now try to start a small fire and bring the fire up slow and can maintain even 225 without issue. 
    I agree with this and I also like to let the plate setter heat evenly with the rest of the ceramics.  I find the longer it takes to build up to my goal temp, the easier it will be to maintain.  I'm talking 40 minutes vs 20, but I consider it part of the cook time and an extra 20 minutes doesn't bother me on a multi hour cook anyway.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Man I will sometimes give the egg like 2 hours to settle in if say I’m doing a brisket or pork butt. Can be an inconvenience, but in addition to letting the temps stabilize, you also want to wait for that thick white smoke to burn off from the wood chunks. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    don't forget to smell the smoke to make sure it is not acrid.
    HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap