Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Firebox

Options
My Firebox and upper ring are cracked. Do I need to replace?  If I don’t will it cause damage to the ceramic outside?  Thanks!

Answers

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can get them warrantied out for life if your the original owner. 

It won’t hurt to use while they are broken. My bowl in my small is in 4 pieces but still hold the lump. No big deal 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Many of us have continued to use what are known as "jigsaw" fire boxes and fire rings. I know my old 7 piece fire box was not even close to some of the records here before I finally just threw them away and put in the new ones that I had gotten under warranty probably 10 years earlier!

Some here will say to cement the pieces together or at least try to but why bother?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    RRP said:
    Many of us have continued to use what are known as "jigsaw" fire boxes and fire rings. I know my old 7 piece fire box was not even close to some of the records here before I finally just threw them away and put in the new ones that I had gotten under warranty probably 10 years earlier!

Some here will say to cement the pieces together or at least try to but why bother?

I recall CWM had a small at one of the Colorado Eggfests that the firebox box in many pieces, quite a few . . . wishing I had a pic, my bad  :|
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Get one coming in case your dealer takes forever to get it replaced, then hang on to it and use the broken ones until they no longer hold together.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options
    Get one coming in case your dealer takes forever to get it replaced, then hang on to it and use the broken ones until they no longer hold together.
    I wholeheartedly AGREE! In some of the cases with us older BGE owners our dealers have gone out of biz or if taken over by new owners they might not really give jack sh*t since you didn’t buy from them! 

ACE Hardware is a huge chain...not sure you will find the same service that the Mom and Pop BGE dealer you bought from will care.

You can always hope to get service going directly to the home office in Atlanta...

Peace, bro...
  • Ham_Bone
    Ham_Bone Posts: 6
    Options
    Mine cracked a year ago and I'm still using them with no issues at all. I did get a replacement from my local Ace Hardware. It took them a good 4 weeks to get it in.
    St.Augustine, Florida
    1 Large BGE
  • RRP
    Options
    Ham_Bone said:
    Mine cracked a year ago and I'm still using them with no issues at all. I did get a replacement from my local Ace Hardware. It took them a good 4 weeks to get it in.
    4 weeks is not the long for replacements from many BGE dealers - both independents and ACE - some people have claimed months!

BTW did you buy that egg from that same ACE?
  • Ham_Bone
    Ham_Bone Posts: 6
    Options
    RRP said:
    Ham_Bone said:
    4 weeks is not the long for replacements from many BGE dealers - both independents and ACE - some people have claimed months!

BTW did you buy that egg from that same ACE?
    I did. I considered going to the ACE that is a bit closer, but wasn't sure if I would have had issues since I didn't buy from their location. This was my first time submitting a claim, wasn't sure what to expect. Glad to hear then that 4 weeks is a good time frame. 

The manager did tell me that she likes to submit the claim orders with BGE freight instead of UPS. She mentioned having everything coming in on a big pallet was alot better. She said they've received too many broken claims while using UPS delivery. 
    St.Augustine, Florida
    1 Large BGE