Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Basement Mold

Options
I have mold in an unfinished basement.
Received a quote from Rainbow International Restoration for 5 grand + an invoice of $175 for the quote  :s
Looking for recommendations on a spray on product that doesn't require any scrubbing.
Thank You
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Hydrogen peroxide 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Give this a try.  We sell this (I'm an HVAC wholesaler).  You can probably find it local.

https://nucalgon.com/products/indoor-air-quality/bio-fresh-cd/
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Just a curious question but are you sure it’s mold and not effervescent?  I only ask because I’ve had customers think it was mold when it wasn’t. The treatments are way different

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Just a curious question but are you sure it’s mold and not effervescent?  I only ask because I’ve had customers think it was mold when it wasn’t. The treatments are way different
    It's a 105 yr old house 

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    What treatment is on the walls?

analyze adapt overcome

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    it’s my understanding that most mold is not a big deal. Sure you want to get rid of it, but not all mold is toxic. I would try to find someone local who is an expert and isn’t looking to remediate. I know people use bleach to kill mold on surfaces all the time like mentioned above. Mold cannot live without a water source. Must be humid down there? Good luck. 
  • loco_engr
    Options
    What treatment is on the walls?
    some are painted, some are bare limestone blocks
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Mattman3969
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I agree that the moisture needs to be stopped. Once that is done check into a product called Fiberlock. They have a cleaner (not sure of its name)and a coating called Aftershock that is rubbery and has mold inhibitors in it.  It is used around here a bunch for crawl space foundations and basement walls.  

analyze adapt overcome

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

You might also consider a very good dehumidifier that pumps the water outside.  My brother has one in his basement and it does an amazing job.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • loco_engr
    Options
    You might also consider a very good dehumidifier that pumps the water outside.  My brother has one in his basement and it does an amazing job.  
    I have open drain in basement floor that has the water softener and the ac water tubing piped into it
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Perfect spot to drain +1 on the dehumidifier.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options

• Mattman3969
    Options
    I totally misspelled that and instead was asking he he had bubbling walls. Lol. 

analyze adapt overcome

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    i always spell it wrong.  thanks jeebus for spellcheck, though.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited January 2021
    Options
    air movement is another big thing to prevent it from re-occurring along with the dehumidifier. It would be worth looking into some kind of HRV or other depending on where you are
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    Some fruitcake flagged me for “jeebus”

hahaha

religious nuts sure are hilarious
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

I like the Orange. I was gifted a ‘72 head years ago and still have it. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I used some special spray that a buddy gave me ... made for professionals who treat mold, it had I believe tea tree oil in it ... smelled like it. It definitely didn't cost $5k, lol ... but he said the container wasn't cheap (my guess like $80 to $100 .... looked like the 1 gallon weed killer containers that you air pump and spray with a wand).  Anyhow, I used that ... then dried with a block heater, and it seemed to have done the job, although my walls are covered now.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    I have mold in an unfinished basement.

Looking for recommendations on a spray on product that doesn't require any scrubbing.

1st you need to find where the mold 'food' is coming from, mold needs water so stop the water intrusion first. Basement moisture can come from many sources including; pipe, foundation, roof or wall leaks, poorly vented driers, and/or condensation from below the flooring/slab.

After you've found the source of water and fixed it clean surfaces with a simple detergent and then let dry completely. You probably do not need any bleach or disinfectants, mold spores won't grow without moisture and an unfinished basement should be mostly impermeable (typical studs are considered impermable). 

Do not just cover the existing mold with paint or any other product you must remove the mold and that mill require some scrubbing.

Good advice here - https://www.epa.gov/mold/mold-cleanup-your-home 

This is the 'bible' of mold remediation - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/epi/epi-mold-guidelines.pdf 

I am a CIH with 30ish years of indoor air quality experience, glad to talk if you'd like. 
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City