Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Conundrum Paper vs Foil

Options
Bringing up paper vs foil is the same discussion on here as fat side up or down or Friday night lump discussions but I have gone back and fourth.   I have lots of brisket cooks under my belt and have used both methods with success, each have their pluses and minuses. Most recently I did a Wagyu brisket wrapped in paper and it came out a dripping greasy mess with soft bark.  My best ever briskets have been cooked on a rack over a foil pan.  I wrap with foil over the pan after adding a can of beef broth.  When probe tender I remove the foil and place the brisket on the rack over another dry pan to dry out the bark for 10 minutes.  The au jus left in the original pan is separated and is liquid gold.  I plan to abandon the paper and go back to foil.  Tell me what you think. 

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Let me start by saying whatever works for you is all that matters and those are some sweet pics right there.  Impressive ring especially if from a BGE.
    Here's a link to a video that does a great job of addressing the paper, foil or nekked finish run on a brisket.  FWIW-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mkevenson
    Options
    lousubcap, thanks for posting that video. Great morning BBQ candy.
    Still Learnin'
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @mkevenson - DM sent with a bit more brisket info to do with as you wish.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I think both are a waste of time during the cooking process. I wrap mine in butcher paper AFTER I take them off to let them rest in the cooler for a couple hours. I used to try and find the perfect process and for me I noticed zero difference in foil vs paper during the cook. If they do anything it may be to decrease the time in the stall with the trade off of poor bark formation. But as Cap said do what you like.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Lou, I've seen and read that you have a plethora of info in regard to brisket cooks. Any chance I can get a copy of that. I'm always trying to learn. Thanks. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Moleman - DM sent.  Enjoy the read.  
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Well, whatever you’re doing, it’s working. Like Lou said, it’s about having a process that you’re confident in and executing it.

FWIW, I agree with TexasBGE2018 above. I usually try not to wrap if I can help it. I’m okay with trading off a little moisture loss for better bark formation. I will wrap if it looks like the brisket is drying out or if I need to finish the brisket faster. When I do wrap, I prefer butcher paper. If your last BP wrapped brisket came out greasy with a soft bark, that’s usually a sign that you cooked a little hot after you wrapped. Could just be that there is so much “good fat” that’s going to render in Wagyu brisket that it’s hard not to braise the brisket if you wrap it. Either way, if aluminum foil is working, which looks like it is, I say roll with what your confident in. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I don't find it neccessary or beneficial to wrap in my Egg. But in my offset it's a must. I think it's due to the amount of air moving through my offset compared to the Egg.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nealmgb
    Options
    Lou, could you send me your brisket help info?  After 3-4 years of Egg cooking I’m ready to try to perfect the brisket and anxious to try the Salado award winning chili.  Just ordered the Pendery’s chili powder, so we’re almost there.  Thanks for any help you can provide.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @nealmgbDM sent.  Enjoy the read.  
    Just mess about with a flat if sacrificing for chili  
    =) 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There is benefit to wrapping with something at some point as I've done a ton of briskets with no wrapping and, depending on the rub, etc, occasionally the bark can be so tough and thick it makes cutting perfect slices nearly impossible.

To me it is an optional tool to use when needed.  I never use foil anymore except when I'm throwing leftovers in the fridge.  Foil results in braising.  If I want to braise, I'll use foil or a crock pot.
    Options
    FYI: Braising is a reflux of moisture, a continual baste, with one side typically in liquid.  I'm using the term "reflux" off-brand here, coming from the chemistry world.  Technically:

"Reflux involves heating the chemical reaction for a specific amount of time, while continually cooling the vapour produced back into liquid form, using a condenser. The vapours produced above the reaction continually undergo condensation, returning to the flask as a condensate."

Except look at it as the cooking meat is the reaction generating moisture which is evaporating and condensing back on to the meat, continually.
    Options
    All that said, whatever you do that gives you results you like isn't wrong.