Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Rockwood Sales??

Options
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I am realizing I am getting low on charcoal.  Been a fan of Rockwood since I more or less got my Egg 5 years ago.  Every now and then I can find a sale, but my quick search wasn't coming up with anything.  Does anyone have any knowledge of some sales happening?  
Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY

Comments

• The_Canuck
    Options
    .... and calling around to the local Ace stores, the warehouses the supply the Louisville area are completely out.  None coming in until after thanksgiving.  

So either Kentucky is doing a lot of grilling, or there is a small shortage of Rockwood via Ace Hardware.

Louisville, KY
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    There's been a charcoal shortage for months
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• The_Canuck
    Options
    Its been awhile since I have been on the forums, and had plenty to get me through.  But realized the other night, that I am getting low.  

Thanks for the heads up.

Louisville, KY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,394
    Options
    Here are a couple of links about the issue:
    Re: Charcoal shortage looming?
    and this one:
    Re: Rockwood shortage?
    Rockwood's on-line has it and the 3 bag deal is down $5 since last I looked a few weeks ago.  Linked here:
    https://store.rockwoodcharcoal.com/products/3-bags-20  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    BTW- just ordered the Rockwood 3-pack.  Don't "need" it but...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    BTW- just ordered the Rockwood 3-pack.  Don't "need" it but...
    Shipped!  Don't get p!ssed at me when the white/purple truck shows up rather than your beloved brown truck.  That's why it's down $5.....passing along the savings.

@The_Canuck ...  your box is on the way too.

For everybody else in the Ohio, eastern MI & KY, western PA, and WV, a truckload to Ace's OH warehouse is shipping next week, so stores should be stocked up for Thanksgiving.

• The_Canuck
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - I saw that it shipped already.  Thank You!!  If it can ship that quick with the white/purple trucks, I don't have a preference.  Now if they throw the box around, then I have a preference.  UPS always seemed to take care of the packages from you guys.

By the way, when I talked to the Ace rep, he said the KY warehouse wasn't getting filled until the 26th (Thanksgiving).  Maybe he mis-read it, but that's what he quoted me.

Thanks again for helping out.

Louisville, KY
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - I guarantee that your new company driver will leave the box at the front door-a good 75' up a side walk when I have asked them to leave all of their deliveries by the garage door.  Out of street sight and not the hike.  
    The brown truck guy has it down.  B) But i get the business side. 
    Be well-
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @stlcharcoal - I guarantee that your new company driver will leave the box at the front door-a good 75' up a side walk when I have asked them to leave all of their deliveries by the garage door.  Out of street sight and not the hike.  
    The brown truck guy has it down.  B) But i get the business side. 
    Be well-
    Take that $5 off and give it to the neighbor kid to heave it over to the garage.  :)
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I'm from Toronto, I was surprised to find one bag of Rockwood at a local Canadian Tire ... so I bought it.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I'm from Toronto, I was surprised to find one bag of Rockwood at a local Canadian Tire ... so I bought it.
    I am more surprised than you.....not supposed to be there.  
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    The best thing was a 17 lb bag was less than $18 + tax ... seems cheap! Too bad they only had one bag ... I would have bought a few at that price.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    The best thing was a 17 lb bag was less than $18 + tax ... seems cheap! Too bad they only had one bag ... I would have bought a few at that price.
    Ok, then it wasn't RW.  We don't make 17# bags.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Hold on let me take a picture.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Oh sheeet ... yeah you're right it was Royal Oak ... LOL.

Hey when you gonna sell RW to us Canadians??? We're friendly, and make good doughnuts!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - appreciate the prompt delivery at the friggin front door as predicted.  No neighborhood kid around but now safely in the garage.  So I am $5 less poor than I could have been.   B)
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @stlcharcoal - appreciate the prompt delivery at the friggin front door as predicted.  No neighborhood kid around but now safely in the garage.  So I am $5 less poor than I could have been.   B)
    We can write something on the box.....just put it in the notes section when you checkout.  Something like:

"Leave at garage, pinball guards the front door"

"Leave at garage, driveway spikes and land mines surround residence."

"Leave at garage, homeowner answers door naked."

• lousubcap
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Trust me- It doesn't matter as you well know.  The stable of drivers changes such that the note I have on file with the warehouse where it gets the final approach instructions from the shipping company doesn't mean a da-n thing.  But at least it's there. 
    BTW-you can write notes, put arrows on the box and do anything you want but when you get a box delivered upside down (with arrows on all four sides pointing in the other direction) and the following on the bottom "Turn me over" the consumer doesn't stand a chance.  And this was well pre-covid.
    Appreciate the opportunity to vent on an extremely slow Saturday night.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    3 bags ordered!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • MikeDV
    MikeDV Posts: 17
    Options
    @stlcharcoal All of the local ACE stores in Southern California are out of Rockwood. The store that I visited said that they are unable to get any at the moment. Any idea if it should be available to them?
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    MikeDV said:
    @stlcharcoal All of the local ACE stores in Southern California are out of Rockwood. The store that I visited said that they are unable to get any at the moment. Any idea if it should be available to them?
    Perhaps in a few weeks?  Truckload left today for Ohio, then next one is going to AZ (which covers southern CA.)  So give it an week to get checked in, then another week to get to the stores.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    I am not looking for sales, I am just looking for Rockwood period.  I had to settle for Royal Oak today.  Been loyal to RW while lurking here, but supply seems real difficult to find.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • The_Canuck
    Options
    Just order direct from rockwood. Sure you can save a few dollars by going through Ace, but you know you can get it within a couple days if you order through Rockwood.

Louisville, KY
  • carrda04
    Options
    After ordering from the website, MN Ace locations eventually came back in stock. Took the occasion to cash in a number of Ace rewards and pick up 5 bags. Now I have a little over 100 lbs plus the emergency 15 of RO. With MN winter fast approaching, this should hold!
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN