Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Sauce Pork Butt Injection?

Options
I am smoking a pork shoulder this afternoon to enjoy during college football tomorrow. I am curious about injecting the shoulder with just hot sauce (Frank's) and a little brown sugar. Does anyone know if this will be too hot? I enjoy spice and find that it's tough to get a lot of flavor deep into the meat. Figured hot sauce could do the trick, while also adding a nice kick. Any thoughts?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,958
    Options
    have done it with a carolina vinegar sauce a few time but not with franks. i find it better to inject when the butt is around 160 internal, more stays in and inject it while still in the egg, less mess
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,811
    Options
    If you like the flavor I really doubt it would be too hot as it will disperse during the cook.  Go for it!
    And total credit to @fishlessman for the "hot injection" method.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,828
    Options
    Injecting with Franks won't be too hot, as you can drink that stuff direct from the bottle and it's not too hot.
    NOLA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    HenryGE said:
    I am smoking a pork shoulder this afternoon to enjoy during college football tomorrow. I am curious about injecting the shoulder with just hot sauce (Frank's) and a little brown sugar. Does anyone know if this will be too hot? I enjoy spice and find that it's tough to get a lot of flavor deep into the meat. Figured hot sauce could do the trick, while also adding a nice kick. Any thoughts?

Hot sauce in your butt. Tried it.. Didn't come out well. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HenryGE
    HenryGE Posts: 10
    Options
    henapple said:
    HenryGE said:

Hot sauce in your butt. Tried it.. Didn't come out well. 

Lol, took me a second
  • HenryGE
    HenryGE Posts: 10
    Options
    It turned out very well, most moist and tender pulled pork I've made. Not sure if it actually had anything to do with the hot sauce, or is just because this pork butt was from a butcher as opposed to a grocery store... guess I'll have to try again and find out
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,811
    Options
    @HenryGE - thanks for the follow-up.  Too many times suggestions are offered up and then the result is never provided.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Erbody likes a spicy butt!!  Congrats on success 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Sounded weird to me and I use hot sauce with almost every meal (not my bbq though). Glad it worked out.