Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs 3-1-1 method

Options
I decided to eggsperiment with a 3-1-1 method today. Rubbed with Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub and The BBQ Rub.
Smoked with cherry and oak for 3 hours. Just wrapped using the Johnny Trigg method - Parkay, Brown Sugar, Honey and Tiger Sauce.
Will check in one hour and the finish off unwrapped till done.
Pics attached so far.

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Decided to go with 1.5 hours wrapped. My previous attempts were at higher temps 250-275. Just placed on the rack and brushed Bone Suckin Sauce on. Will check in 30 minutes and brush on another coat.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Looks good from here!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Now I know why I hardly ever wrap my ribs. I like the rib combo but the ribs were overdone. So I am back to no wrap.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    idk. If they stayed on the bone when you cut them I’d say they are near perfection. Also, you can reduce the time either before, during or after the wrap as well. 1 hour wrapped is a good number imo. Enjoy! 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    idk. If they stayed on the bone when you cut them I’d say they are near perfection. Also, you can reduce the time either before, during or after the wrap as well. 1 hour wrapped is a good number imo. Enjoy! 
    Was thinking the same, nice clean cuts.  They look fantastic to me.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • kmac1036
    Options
    Those are very nice cuts! I haven't mastered that yet lol. These are the spare ribs I got from Costco, 10 lbs worth. They were on the Egg for 6 hours, no wrap or rest. Just dry rub with sea salt and Memphis style BBQ dust. Set the egg up for indirect, 225 F & a pan of apple juice under the grate. Put some BBQ sauce on last 10 mins or so. Everyone that had them said they were excellent, even my 11 year old dug in & had seconds!

• Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    I always smoked my ribs unwrapped until about 2 years ago.  I have learned to smoke until the rub is firm, then wrap. I usually check after 45 minutes or so until they probe tender, then unwrap, glaze and put back on until the sauce sets.  I never go by time after learning every slab may take a different time in the foil. Yours look perfect.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    Sorry picture duplicate
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Dstearn, after you unwrapped, did you put on the grill for 1h again? That will definitely cause them to dry up.

I smoke for 3h
    Wrap for 1h to 1.5h
    Let them cool for 15 min to 30 min.
    Unwrap and re-sauce, then sear to nice finish (takes about 1 to 2 minutes a side).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!