Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Fire Grate for Small

I have see seen several older posts about the High Que fire grates but I am not seeing one online (or their site or others) specifically for the small bge. Did they discontinue that size or is there an alternative option for getting heat up in the small? TIA

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    HeavyG said:
    Thanks for that find! I could do the KAB instead if that is better. If I do that, I take out the fire grate vs putting the KAB on top of it?

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I use my Kick Ash Basket by itself.

If you do a forum search for "kick ash basket" or "KAB" you'll find lots of discussion about them. Some folks love them, some don't see the need for them.

Personally, I'm in the "it's worth the $$" camp.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    KAB fan here for life.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    tdub4 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thanks for that find! I could do the KAB instead if that is better. If I do that, I take out the fire grate vs putting the KAB on top of it?

Sometimes people find the Small to have an air flow issue. It was never much of an issue with mine. I did switch out the fire grate for the KAB though. I did notice an air improvement. I wouldn't go without one in my Small. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    tdub4 said:
    HeavyG said:

Sometimes people find the Small to have an air flow issue. It was never much of an issue with mine. I did switch out the fire grate for the KAB though. I did notice an air improvement. I wouldn't go without one in my Small. 
    Definitely, helps airflow and so much easier to clean.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Please just buy the Kick Ash Basket. 
    Great product. 
    Helps airflow and makes clean up super easy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The kick ash basket in the small is the only way to go.  Combine that with the ceramic grill store’s small woo ring and stone, and you are in business!!!!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The kab or high que help if you are cooking lid closed above 400F.  If you are grilling it doesn't make any difference if you do what I do...close the bottom vent to keep the fire on top.
  • @tdub4 , I've had a small for a long time (minus the period I made the mistake of selling one for a mini max, but then corrected it a few years later).  I currently have a KAB for a small egg in there.  But I have put a charcoal grate from a large egg (same size a mini max), or the kick ash basket for a mini max in the small.  This greatly changes how the small egg performs and takes it from being slower to start, to a jet engine like the mini max or medium egg.  I keep the onlyfire charcoal grate under my kick ash baskets.  I run it perpendicular to the kick ash basket to make it just a little harder for small lump to fall down through.  I recommend getting the size for the kamado joe jr or the medium egg to use in the small:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1SVXF7/ref=dp_iou_view_product?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is more like the high que grate if you choose this option over the KAB, but I just recommend the KAB if only one is used. 
  • tdub4 said:
    I have see seen several older posts about the High Que fire grates but I am not seeing one online (or their site or others) specifically for the small bge. Did they discontinue that size or is there an alternative option for getting heat up in the small? TIA
    Get the basket!!!!! Makes the small the easiest to use in the lineup.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tdub4
    Greatly appreciate all the info. Going with the KAB for sure and will be picking up the Woo as well. I do have the AR for my L already...so love the CDG! I do see the CSG shows the Woo with handles and without. Any thoughts on that?

@cookingdude555 for clarity, are you saying I should use the KAB for the MiniMax? Also, I wasn’t clear on your comment of running the Onlyfire grate “perpendicular” to the KAB. Can you help me understand that?
  • I have been using my small for 7 years. You won't lose enough coal to pay for the extra grate lol. Just get the basket.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tdub4 said:
    Greatly appreciate all the info. Going with the KAB for sure and will be picking up the Woo as well. I do have the AR for my L already...so love the CDG! I do see the CSG shows the Woo with handles and without. Any thoughts on that?

@cookingdude555 for clarity, are you saying I should use the KAB for the MiniMax? Also, I wasn’t clear on your comment of running the Onlyfire grate “perpendicular” to the KAB. Can you help me understand that?
    I like having the handles to help lifting it in and out.  It is especially helpful if you need to lift it out with food still on the grate (although this is a rare occurrence for me - typically only happens if I forgot to add smoke wood)  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • tdub4 said:

@tdub4, I like having the bars run in opposite directions with the two grates.  It is not needed however, and of the two, the KAB is the preferred product.  I have used the mini max KAB in the small.  It works great.  However, to retain more lump capacity (the advantage the small has over the mini max), I would get the small KAB.  Here is when I experimented with the mini max KAB in the small:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2162967
  • tdub4 said:

I did not get the handles for the Woo.  Space is a premium.  Also, the handles are not compatible with the BGE cast iron grate If you ever want to use the two together.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Yes if you want cast iron, I would skip the woo with handles. I love the handles in the woo and highly recommend it with the non cast iron grid. So much easier to manage. 
  • tdub4
    Quick update...ordered accessories (Woo combo, KAB, etc) from CSG this afternoon. Went with surf and turf for dinner with steaks seared and done on the L while I grilled lobster tails on the S. I took the fire grate from the L and put it on the S and used my KAB in the L without the grate (had always left it in). The S heated up quickly and all turned out well (actually....”medium” on the steak 😊). Thanks for the help all!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    The handles on the woo are great if you need to rotate the grid because of hotspots.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Awesome, the large grate in the small really changes the performance of the small.  Glad it worked for you.