Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp to cook to?

I’m going to try my first brisket over the next couple of days.  I literally just looked at 3 different recipes, and came across three different cook temps of 175, 180, and 200.   I have no clue what to think here because they are so different.

I’m inclined to follow one from the Dinosaur BBQ (restaurant) cookbook because I loved the ribs we made using their recipe, and that one calls for a brisket temp of 175-180.

Any help here as to why the temps are so different - and which one to shoot for - would be appreciated.  I’m looking for moist and really tender.

Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    I let it go until 203.  Make sure the bone will freely come out and it passes the tooth pick test!  Enjoy!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• MikeCT
    MikeCT Posts: 39
    Now that’s a precise answer!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    @bradleya123 I think you might have thought he was doing a butt
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    scdaf said:
    Temp is not a reliable guide for brisket.  It's done when it's done.  Only tool  that  gives 100%  accurate results is the toothpick.  When it slides in with near-zero resistance, that's it.  Never had it happen below 195, usually around 200-205.  Can promise chewy brisket if you pull at 175.
    Nearly 100% of the forum will tell you this. Many start probing at 190-195, and pull when you get that "like melted butter" feel with the probe. I think I've read that Franklin says 203 to truly break down all tissues. In my few, but luckily successful attempts, that's always the ballpark. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    190F for me ... but I think I also need to clarify ... I wrap with foil at 160F, let it go to 190F ... then take off and wrap over foil in a thick towel, and drop it in an insulated (cooler) box for a few hours (I've done overnight) ... still warm and juicy in the morning.

You have to remember, if you let it slow cool, it's still cooking for 2h or so AFTER you take it off.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • 202 for me... Letting it cool is key
  • MikeCT
    Ok thanks.  So it sounds like 175 is out and I should aim for 200 or so.  From recipes and videos it seems like it should going in foil at about 160-170 and if I want I could maybe use a light mop then when it goes it.  

This Egg is beyond fun....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    My advice is to look at the brisket cook and finish-line as an analog function.  There is no set temperature as noted above.  It is all about the feel.  Once there you can then decide how to proceed. 
    And about the foil, I will share the below link that will give some insights regarding foil, butcher paper or nekked for the run the the finish.
    Regarding the wrap-here's a link to a Franklin video that addresses wrapping, foil or paper or running nekked to the finish-line.

Just to add to the confusion.  Wrapping is done for a couple of reasons-to get thru the stall and accelerate the cook (foil is the deal for that endeavor) or preserve the bark  (butcher paper for that) or not at all. FWIW-

If this appears to be a challenging undertaking then you are grasping the perspective.  Above all, have fun.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    If i can offer some more advice, from a newbie that just went through this. Don't look ... don't open that lid. Don't get tempted. It screws up your temperatures big time. Get your fire setup right, good temperature, put the meat in, and DO NOT OPEN until you're ready to wrap or at the finish line.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    After I wrap, I pull the temp probes.  Then I check time to time with bamboo skewer and when it goes in nice and easy, I pull.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    I've always had luck at 205*.   As stated above, toothpick test is the only accurate way but I've never had an issue at 205.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Mark_B_Good
    Do you guys poke right through the foil, or do you open the foil each time you probe?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Do you guys poke right through the foil, or do you open the foil each time you probe?
    Poke through the foil.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MikeCT
    One last question - I’m planning to cook tomorrow and probably am going to do something like a 4 pound one.   When it comes off the Egg it will be in foil.  Do I just let it rest in that same hot foil or put it in new foil?  Also, how long should a brisket that size rest before I cut into it?  1-2 hours.  I keep reading different things about this.  I planned on throwing it on the Egg around not to be able to have it for dinner that night.

thanks again.   Everyone here is very helpful.  I hope to be able to contribute over time.

Mike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You can start checking at 190-195, but it’s rare imo that it will be where you’d like it til you hit 200. I generally find 200-205 as stated above is the sweet spot. A real long rest may allow for slightly less IT and still produce great results. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    I let it go until 203.  Make sure the bone will freely come out and it passes the tooth pick test!  Enjoy!!
    Eh, what bone are we talking about here that's in a brisket?
    Mountain View, CA
  • MikeCT
    And can it just rest on a Kitchen counter (in or out of the foil from my question above).  I keep seeing let it rest in a cooler.   Lots of dumb questions I know.   I should be good after this.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    edited July 2020
    The last one I did, the temperature was rising steadily until it reached 150F (kept raising but slowly) and then I hit the stall around 160F.  At this point, I moved it in a pan on a warming grate with beef broth/apple juice/worcestershire sauce wrapped in foil (I wanted steam but not to boil it).  It was ready at 202F.  I wrapped it in butcher paper for about 45 minutes outside on the table.

It's pretty consistent in the replies here, and I have to agree with all the above...mine always seem to probe easy at 202 or 203 up to maybe 205.  I had one stubborn cow that took up to 206 before it probed "like buttah."
  • MikeCT
    Just put it in foil and back on.   I’ll be back when it’s done.  Here’s the current pic.....
  • MikeCT
    edited July 2020
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    300 direct but i only turbo. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    MikeCT said:

It looks like you cooked just a flat and not a whole packer.  Is that right?  How did it turn out?  I’ve only done full packers as I’ve heard that flats are harder to keep from drying out.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    The last Flat I did at the stall i wrapped in in foil with a cup of coffee and it came out fantastic!!  Super moist!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC